Advice on pomegranate

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got this pomegranate about 4 years ago online, it was like a plastic coffee stirrer then. Now it's still very small, but healthy.

Need advice and would appreciate for any: please see 2nd picture, the dead branch used to be the main one, it's dead 2 years ago, now the living trunk stars to kind of wrap around it. What should I do? Leave it alone, or carve it out?
If it's a big tree, it would be nice feature carving it out, but such a tiny one? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210224_115545.jpg
    20210224_115545.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210224_115616.jpg
    20210224_115616.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 56
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got this pomegranate about 4 years ago online, it was like a plastic coffee stirrer then. Now it's still very small, but healthy.

Need advice and would appreciate for any: please see 2nd picture, the dead branch used to be the main one, it's dead 2 years ago, now the living trunk stars to kind of wrap around it. What should I do? Leave it alone, or carve it out?
If it's a big tree, it would be nice feature carving it out, but such a tiny one? Thanks!
Right now the trunk is about half inch

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's going to be tough to do a carving that conveys the image of age on a tree this small. Honestly, I think the best thing you could do for this tree is just let it grow to increase the trunk size. Unfortunately in a small pot, that will take a very long time. I suggest you put this in a larger pot such as a pond basket or even put it in the ground for a few years.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's going to be tough to do a carving that conveys the image of age on a tree this small. Honestly, I think the best thing you could do for this tree is just let it grow to increase the trunk size. Unfortunately in a small pot, that will take a very long time. I suggest you put this in a larger pot such as a pond basket or even put it in the ground for a few years.
Thank you. What I worried about is if leaving the dead part as is, it may rot and may infect the trunk.
This is dwarf pomegranate. I'll repot it into a bigger pot

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Live wood won't rot so there's no risk of "infection". My guess is that the tree will just eventually engulf the dead portion. If the dead portion rots before that happens then the growing trunk will just roll into the void.

Last edited:
Top Bottom