Advice on reducing to single or twin trunk

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would like to reduce this to a single or at most a twin trunk. How would I do it?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Methinks it's too late. You have an attractive base, build a design around that. ?? Maybe a very wide canopy with weeping branches?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree --> clump!!!

But, the whole principle is that chop cuts should slant toward the back, out of view. So, the most important thing to decide before you have at it is the front = the best view of the nebari. With a multistem thingie you also need to think about perspective or the illusion of depth in the composition --> thickest trunk(s) in front, thinner and generally shorter behind.

Clumps are @MACH5's fav - take a look through his threads.

btw, I love clumps too, but I don't have any suitable material (yet?) as you do.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like it the way it is. The best way to reduce it to a single or double trunk is to find another tree, in my opinion. Nice material.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd prefer to reduce it in stages to one trunk. I dont like that they are close in size. I'd keep the one that has more lower branches. Looks like magnolia grown from cutting or seedling that fused together.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I did it today. The roots looked quite nice. My combing and rearranging the roots when I last potted it worked well.
20200208_084519.jpg

The final tree sits higher in the pot than I would like. I will lower it at repot next year. The wiring is sloppy. My injury on my right hand really caused issues.
20200208_093928.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I did it today. The roots looked quite nice. My combing and rearranging the roots when I last potted it worked well.
View attachment 282822

The final tree sits higher in the pot than I would like. I will lower it at repot next year. The wiring is sloppy. My injury on my right hand really caused issues.
View attachment 282823
It's budding like crazy.20200320_160306.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Wow, you did get it to just 2 trunks. Actually looks better than I envisioned. Looking good indeed. I would top dress with sphagnum or something to keep those fine roots on the surface near the trunk alive until the next opportunity to repot. If they dry out and die, you will be on the path to having an ugly volcano of roots rather than a flat, radial root system. At the next opportunity, definitely pot the tree lower in the pot, in order to get a flat radial root spread.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Wow, you did get it to just 2 trunks. Actually looks better than I envisioned. Looking good indeed. I would top dress with sphagnum or something to keep those fine roots on the surface near the trunk alive until the next opportunity to repot. If they dry out and die, you will be on the path to having an ugly volcano of roots rather than a flat, radial root system. At the next opportunity, definitely pot the tree lower in the pot, in order to get a flat radial root spread.
Thanks for the advice. The roots are now covered.

Top Bottom