Advice on repot of collected Rocky Mountain Douglas Fir

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I acquired this Rocky Mountain Douglas Fir in the summer of 2017.

I have spent the entire time rebuilding the trees health. The tree has grown a lot of new foliage and the vascular system has expanded.

I would like to repot this spring.

I truly appreciate the advice.

Attachments

• 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200329174055224_COVER.jpg
    00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200329174055224_COVER.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 00000IMG_00000_BURST20200329173958677_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20200329173958677_COVER.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200329100427124_COVER.jpg
    00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200329100427124_COVER.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200329100422783_COVER.jpg
    00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200329100422783_COVER.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 86
  • 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200329100420015_COVER.jpg
    00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200329100420015_COVER.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 94

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So, like everything else, you may repot in spring 'as buds swell'.

Or you can wait until after the summer solstice and do it then.
The newly hardened foliage is highly productive and will power root growth. The waxy leaves mean that they can control water loss very effectively by just closing stomata. I've done it both ways with a number of Douglas firs.​
Either way works well, though I prefer to repot them in summer simply because I've got so much other stuff to do in spring.

I, unfortunately, don't have any Dougies with trunks like yours has - WOW!

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m happy to see this one looking so strong, nice job.

I’ve always reported them in spring and have come to believe it’s better to wait until the buds are really starting to swell, even partially opening. Summer makes sense to me too but I’ve never done it.

The roots are different than pines and junipers, kind of softer, less plumped up and easier to mistake a live root for a dead one. Especially if you repot too early in spring, If you can, have a hand lens with you, look very closely at the tips of roots that appear dead and you may see what I mean.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why the summer? Please explain. Thank you!

Any advice on soil

I will say first I am glad @wireme is part of this discussion, because he has knowledge needed on fir, and large collected trees in boxes.

I assume they don't grow in fall like spruce?

Even if not, I haven't had anything fail the first Waning moon after the Solstice. Mugo, Juniper, Spruce, Boxwood, and I'm doing all my D's this year.
I keep being tempted to Repot some D's now, but I keep telling myself I don't want them to die!

Truth truth though, I know I come out of the winter with compromised roots, which you probly don't have, so you can probly get away with a spring Repot.

But I say get away with because I still think it is a larger risk.

The way I see it, it is way better to have the spring growth health gauge to know what kinda root work you can get away with. Then you also have the fall growth(roots👀) to judge how well it will winter.

It's just a win win.

No risk. Or, much more calculateable risk.

Heat isn't a problem when humidity is 80+.
I don't recall a July with Humidity lower.

Sorce

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you for
I will say first I am glad @wireme is part of this discussion, because he has knowledge needed on fir, and large collected trees in boxes.

I assume they don't grow in fall like spruce?

Even if not, I haven't had anything fail the first Waning moon after the Solstice. Mugo, Juniper, Spruce, Boxwood, and I'm doing all my D's this year.
I keep being tempted to Repot some D's now, but I keep telling myself I don't want them to die!

Truth truth though, I know I come out of the winter with compromised roots, which you probly don't have, so you can probly get away with a spring Repot.

But I say get away with because I still think it is a larger risk.

The way I see it, it is way better to have the spring growth health gauge to know what kinda root work you can get away with. Then you also have the fall growth(roots👀) to judge how well it will winter.

It's just a win win.

No risk. Or, much more calculateable risk.

Heat isn't a problem when humidity is 80+.
I don't recall a July with Humidity lower.

Sorce
Thank you for the info! Douglas fir do not grow in fall. They only store energy. Spring and summer growth. Fall seems to slow itself down. Vascular system grows well after summer.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for

Thank you for the info! Douglas fir do not grow in fall. They only store energy. Spring and summer growth. Fall seems to slow itself down. Vascular system grows well after summer.

So I checked and I guess swamp ass weather includes down to 40 or so humidity, not many above 80, but swamp ass as a guide seems to work well!

I would definitely Repot at the first full moon after the Solstice. The next ok, the next, September's, not too late persay, but you're cutting into your calculateable.

To me, it makes no sense at all to Repot I spring, when it has other things to do.

I was talking about thinking everyone is wrong on another thread, because they don't start at the correct beginning.

Spring is the beginning.
Spring growth pretty much determines the rest of the year, the root growth, subsequent top growth and so on...
If you believe in the subtle pattern which follows the moon, waning root Growth, waxing top growth.

So, repotting in spring is instantly a detriment, it's not exponential, but the rythym for the year is off.

It's the worst beginning to the year a tree could have!

"Everything wants to grow in spring", they say.
True.
But their is a greater honor for the trees than to take advantage of that fact, it translates to healthier trees.

No one will agree because they have been fine operating at 80-90%.
IMO, that 10-20% is where the need for chemicals arises.

In case I ever have to eat the grass under my trees.....or my trees! That was just a joke what....3 months ago?
real AF now!

Sorce

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Hajajaaj wait .... Hajahajaaj, ok... Hahahahahahahaha grass... Hahha
So I checked and I guess swamp ass weather includes down to 40 or so humidity, not many above 80, but swamp ass as a guide seems to work well!

I would definitely Repot at the first full moon after the Solstice. The next ok, the next, September's, not too late persay, but you're cutting into your calculateable.

To me, it makes no sense at all to Repot I spring, when it has other things to do.

I was talking about thinking everyone is wrong on another thread, because they don't start at the correct beginning.

Spring is the beginning.
Spring growth pretty much determines the rest of the year, the root growth, subsequent top growth and so on...
If you believe in the subtle pattern which follows the moon, waning root Growth, waxing top growth.

So, repotting in spring is instantly a detriment, it's not exponential, but the rythym for the year is off.

True.
But their is a greater honor for the trees than to take advantage of that fact, it translates to healthier trees.

In case I ever have to eat the grass under my trees.....or my trees! That was just a joke what....3 months ago?
real AF now!

Sorce

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
IntRepot after the roots have grown in spring. Thank you. Appreciate the explanation

Spring is the beginning.

True.

real AF now!

Sorce
, So you reppr

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The rationale for potting in spring is that Dougies, just like spruces and true firs, have a tremendous amount of resources stored in their vascular system from last year. All that energy is available to repair major work to either the roots, or the foliage (not both). As @wireme suggested, the best time is as buds are swelling and just showing some green.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ohhhhhhhh with Todd Schlaefer that was you? V nice love the rebar use … When you were bending the branches , did you feel confident with the raffia , was it fairly flexible ? Did you bend and twist to distribute energy in the wire? I know that is a technique for Pine branch bending but does it translate for any heavy bend ?

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhh with Todd Schlaefer that was you? V nice love the rebar use … When you were bending the branches , did you feel confident with the raffia , was it fairly flexible ? Did you bend and twist to distribute energy in the wire? I know that is a technique for Pine branch bending but does it translate for any heavy bend ?
Yes this is the same tree Todd Schaefer posted earlier this year.

Bending and twisting with the wire in a tightening direction is always best.

Working with Todd is an experience worth having. He handled most of the difficult bends and offers a tremendous amount insight.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
This is the pot I am pairing with the tree. Spring 2022 by Sara Rayner

large oval.JPG

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Spring is the beginning.

True.

real AF now!

Sorce

That thicc crab I gave you was the first make-or-break summer repot for me.

Full, unpruned top. Drastic root reduction. No top reduction.

Put right back in full sun.

First week of august.

Roots came roaring back.

No winter protection other than being on ground.

Bounced right back spring.

Top Bottom