Advice on starting an oak

d3n1s

Seed
Reaction score
Hi
i purchased a English oak plant.
its a lot taller than I thought it would be... its like 6 or 7 ft. kinda thin and bent. I want the trunk to thicken up

should I cut it now or let it grow any advice on what you would do would be appreciated, is it possible to air layer, should i shape it now or wait

will add a photo asap

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Welcome!

I hate to be that person, but I guess we all need to take turns: If you wanna thicken it up, plant it in the ground for 10-20 years.

Oaks put down a big tap root, so you'll need to dig it up every few years to keep it in check. No idea where you are located, but they also tend to be slow growers.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sans Photo, that was an appropriate turn!

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My understanding is that oak leaves dont normally reduce well so its best to plan for a larger tree.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also please add location to profile. That helps;).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi
i purchased a English oak plant.
its a lot taller than I thought it would be... its like 6 or 7 ft. kinda thin and bent. I want the trunk to thicken up

should I cut it now or let it grow any advice on what you would do would be appreciated, is it possible to air layer, should i shape it now or wait

will add a photo asap
your location will have a lot to do with developing this species. Can't really help you without knowing what country/state/province etc. you are in

d3n1s

Seed
Reaction score
I figure that i will chop it . no point being scared to do and if i have to learn the hard way. so be it

Top Bottom