Advice on starting collecting in New England

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I know there’s several posts along this line and I’ve found a few threads but not precisely what I’m looking for. I’m primarily trying to figure out resources to identify when and how trees can be collected from non-private/government land in NE from a legal perspective. Secondarily though I’m looking for any advice on the logistics of collecting in general both for urbanidori as well as yamadori. I think there’s a lot of resources out there for me to learn the general timing and process, but I’d like to get some specifics of how to get involved in my locale and/or points of contact to organize things and get any needed permits.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
One of the major things people tend to forget about is the soil components and containers.
You'll not be in a position where you can wait for a bag of pumice to ship and be delivered. So make sure you have enough of everything before you even start digging.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I find the best way is to ride a bicycle and scout around for your yamadori collecting

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know there’s several posts along this line and I’ve found a few threads but not precisely what I’m looking for. I’m primarily trying to figure out resources to identify when and how trees can be collected from non-private/government land in NE from a legal perspective. Secondarily though I’m looking for any advice on the logistics of collecting in general both for urbanidori as well as yamadori. I think there’s a lot of resources out there for me to learn the general timing and process, but I’d like to get some specifics of how to get involved in my locale and/or points of contact to organize things and get any needed permits.
Best way to do any of this is to join a local club. They probably have already done the legwork you're asking for and know the details of collectible land. Asking on the Internet is going to get you a hundred rando answers. Ditto on getting resources such as timing and process (both vary according to species and season and abilities)

Other places to ask

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
@rockm fair yeah - I’m familiar with NEBG and have joined the Kaikou Study Group there and recently was introduced to the Northeast Bonsai club. I’ll look to get some advice there. In fact, I recently bought a collected tree from Paul Olsen as part of a club auction so I’m sure people have knowledge of the subject. I do anticipate though that the main way forward is having access to private land. That is the refrain I’ve heard so far for much of New England.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Power lines (if not posted) and the soft shoulders on rural roadways can be treasure troves and those areas are regularly cut mowed etc to remove small trees and brush so collection is a service to the local DPWs and power companies. This may depend on your specific state as I have found attitudes vary.

Top Bottom