Advice on trident maple purchase

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking to purchase a trident maple, and am particularly interested in one with a wide trunk, which I can then develop the branching on, learning as I go

I have found the tree below and like the look of it (trunk to height of tree) but would like to get your opinion on if you think this would give me a good base to work off

Unfortunately it is online so I cannot go and view in person before buying, and I find it hard to find material like this in bonsai nurseries around London...

Thanks
Fred

Attachments

• 20200918_202200.jpg
    20200918_202200.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 196

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Does it have good taper?
is there evidence of major cuts?
Are the branches in appropriate places?
Does it have a good nebari?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The challenge is that this tree has very little taper.
I am not sure what they are asking for this?

It might be worth to contact Maarten at bonsai plaza in the Netherlands. They often have good tridents imported from Japan.

But again, not sure what pricerange you are looking at.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the website some of their trees are visible:

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wow that is awesome, got some great nebari going there! I think I will try a couple of my local nurseries this weekend and then reach out as you suggest if nothing takes my fancy. I'm trying to keep things under the £200 mark...

Thanks all for the replies

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow that is awesome, got some great nebari going there! I think I will try a couple of my local nurseries this weekend and then reach out as you suggest if nothing takes my fancy. I'm trying to keep things under the £200 mark...
Note, this one broke that level. Not by much though.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How old are you?

Some of that twelve years was wasted ruining any taper it may have had in the right hands.

If we keep small manageable collections and keep "projects" reasonable, math has it that any personal collector can grow better "pre-bonsai" than anything offered in this entire market IMO.

Worst is they are competing with those Croatian Monsters, which makes it not a competition.

This entire market of "12 year old trunks" shouldn't exist. It's like an ugly spawn off of the Mallsai market.

Mass produced for SHOCK Value, and then failing in every other way.

How much does this problem cost?

Sorce

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Great candidate for 3-7 years of ground growing in my opinion. More of a long term project.

Solid beginning/Trunk but needs taper.

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice. I ended up going to a local nursery and buying the tree below. I liked the look of this tree immediately. Hopefully it looks good to you guys too as I tried to apply your advice on looking for taper, nebari and small leaves...

Attachments

• 20200921_132407.jpg
    20200921_132407.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 20200922_162646.jpg
    20200922_162646.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 20200922_162638.jpg
    20200922_162638.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 20200922_162628.jpg
    20200922_162628.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20200922_162526.jpg
    20200922_162526.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 110

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
where did you get that one from, Lee in Kent? depends what youre into i guess. that one wouldnt be my cup of tea and believe it or not, the chunky one after a spell in the grow bed may be my choice.
the chunky one is more suited to a naturalistic style and maybe a wide broomy crown sort of in the image of an old oak. but thats not everyones tastes. this other one is more in the mould of a 'bonsai' like how they do them in Japan for mass production. horizontal branches which cant really be moulded and a pointy top. you sorta have to just go with the horizontal flow, where as with other one there is scope for moulding into a true tree form. ok im waffling now. Laters

Last edited:

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice. I ended up going to a local nursery and buying the tree below. I liked the look of this tree immediately. Hopefully it looks good to you guys too as I tried to apply your advice on looking for taper, nebari and small leaves...
Better 👍

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
where did you get that one from, Lee in Kent? depends what youre into i guess. that one wouldnt be my cup of tea and believe it or not, the chunky one after a spell in the grow bed may be my choice.
the chunky one is more suited to a naturalistic style and maybe a wide broomy crown sort of in the image of an old oak. but thats not everyones tastes. this other one is more in the mould of a 'bonsai' like how they do them in Japan for mass production. horizontal branches which cant really be moulded and a pointy top. you sorta have to just go with the horizontal flow, where as with other one there is scope for moulding into a true tree form. ok im waffling now. Laters

Thanks Bobby, I actually got this one from Ken in Kent (good appropriate name to location). I thought this may not be to everyone's taste but it caught my eye as soon as I saw it and for my budget was the one I kept coming back to. Looking forward to learning maple techniques with this one

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
How old are you?

Some of that twelve years was wasted ruining any taper it may have had in the right hands.

If we keep small manageable collections and keep "projects" reasonable, math has it that any personal collector can grow better "pre-bonsai" than anything offered in this entire market IMO.

Worst is they are competing with those Croatian Monsters, which makes it not a competition.

This entire market of "12 year old trunks" shouldn't exist. It's like an ugly spawn off of the Mallsai market.

Mass produced for SHOCK Value, and then failing in every other way.

How much does this problem cost?

Sorce

Thanks Sorce, I'm 34 so hopefully have a while left!

Out of interest what do you mean by "Croation Monsters" - I'm intrigued now!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Croation Monsters"

You have plenty of time!

Grow your own trident!

Sorce

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah, concidentally, I am also looking to purchase a trident maple too with a similar budget. I was just thinking of getting one from bonzaiplaza.com or e-bonsai.com.

Or would ken from kent still have more tridents up in the uk?

I am based in France, so im not sure whether UK still allows export due to covid.

Top Bottom