Advice please

Che

Seedling
Reaction score
I rescued a sycamore sapling from a crack in concrete in my back yard took it inside for most of the winter and I now have a foot high little tree at my window! It has a twisted trunk just above ground level then two shoots further up the trunk with a canopy of 6/7 fairly horizontal branches with 4/5in leaves one on each,and it's topped with a tiny leaf and shoot ready to go higher.
I had no intention of growing a bonzai with this tree it's kinda found me and I'm torn between planting it somewhere or keeping wee skinny as I've took to calling it (-:
If I could have it as a bonzai what would be the next step for me to consider?

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did it have a dormancy? Definitely not an indoor tree. Keep it indoors for the winter will be dangerous for your new friend. You may enjoy tropical bonsai is you want to keep something indoors.

Che

Seedling
Reaction score
Did it have a dormancy? Definitely not an indoor tree. Keep it indoors for the winter will be dangerous for your new friend. You may enjoy tropical bonsai is you want to keep something indoors.
Would it best to plant in outdoors now?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sycamore is a tough one to turn into a bonsai tree. The leaves are hard to reduce to a size small enough to be proportional to a small bonsai tree. If you have a good place in the yard, plant it instead.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sycamore is a tough one to turn into a bonsai tree. The leaves are hard to reduce to a size small enough to be proportional to a small bonsai tree. If you have a good place in the yard, plant it instead.
And plant it at least 100 feet from your house. Sycamores are giants when they mature. They are one of the American species like Southern Magnolia that just don't work well under bonsai cultivation. Not only are their leaves HUGE, they tend to have loooong spaces between branching and twigs. They tend to keep both those habits in containers ,which means as bonsai theyhave HUGE leaves and gangly-looking, sparse branching and are odd looking. I have heard leaves reduce, but only from people who know when to intervene in the growth cycle.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+1 My 1st thought...then the bark shedding looks messy in the yard too. I've never had to run a mower around one though.
Additionally, when you prune a sycamore, don't do it the spring. Some people have a hypersensitivity to the dust on the underside of its leaves. I pruned a mature sycamore in May and I had trouble breathing after and I don't have allergic reactions to much. My sister in law, who was in the yard below, literally fell down gasping when a branch hit the ground. I thought we were going to have to call 911.

Che

Seedling
Reaction score
Additionally, when you prune a sycamore, don't do it the spring. Some people have a hypersensitivity to the dust on the underside of its leaves. I pruned a mature sycamore in May and I had trouble breathing after and I don't have allergic reactions to much. My sister in law, who was in the yard below, literally fell down gasping when a branch hit the ground. I thought we were going to have to call 911.
Oh dear! Thank you I think I'll keep it in a bigger container in the garden til I'll find an appropriate spot for now.

Che

Seedling
Reaction score
And plant it at least 100 feet from your house. Sycamores are giants when they mature. They are one of the American species like Southern Magnolia that just don't work well under bonsai cultivation. Not only are their leaves HUGE, they tend to have loooong spaces between branching and twigs. They tend to keep both those habits in containers ,which means as bonsai theyhave HUGE leaves and gangly-looking, sparse branching and are odd looking. I have heard leaves reduce, but only from people who know when to intervene in the growth cycle.
Okay thank you I'll put it in a bigger container in my garden til I find an appropriate spot for it.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Super messy tree. Seed pods break apart into a fuzz, leaves fall all almost constantly, bark season its fun to look at the tree, but another cleanup, then the fall leaves.
I have a big one forming a canopy over my home and while I appreciate the cooling, it is constantly clogging my gutters.
CW

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you should just donate it to a wooded area somewhere else if you feel a need to plant it.

Top Bottom