Advice please....

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I bought a myrtus comunnis microphylia a bit more than a year ago. Repoted and styled it, and last august, looked like this:

DSC_8295 (2).jpg

But time goes by, and this tree seems to be fast growing. At first I thought it had a good evolution, but now my doubts are growing. You can see it here in november and now ....

FB_IMG_1636666456688.jpg IMG_20220426_145534 (1).jpg

What I've found is that I very much prefer it as it was (in those proportions). My fault, as somehow I thought it would evolve better if I removed some branches (there were a lot of forks in the branching).

I guess the solution is to prune back (it backbuds very well) and once it's in the november proportions, to let one or some sacrificing branches and keep the rest at bay. But I have no experience and I know there must be better solutions out there.
What do you think?

PD:
1- I have been pinching the tips monthly, as it overgrows shape very fast.
2- The bull is there to compare growings, so read my signature and don't be scared of it.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is common for fat growing species to get too long. Fortunately this one buds well so you can chop it right back and recover the previous proportions.
Go well back under the desired size because new shoots will only grow up and out so need to allow for that new growth.
Maintaining fast growing species requires regular deeper cut back to make shorter branches become the apex and promote new lower shoots to provide the density.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1- I have been pinching the tips monthly, as it overgrows shape very fast.

Reckon this is your problem.
Seems like wanting to keep the "scene" in tact may prove that bull is actually keeping you bullshitting!

I appreciate your ability to look back at photos and decide what you've decided!

When you want to see it looking good, just go back to that photo instead of pinching!

Sorce

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I personally find the newer version to be nicer. The exposed branches feel like they have more age and character.
It it were my project, I'd keep it but build up a little more mass in the canopy.

Just my personal aesthetic, though. Yours does look very nice.

Top Bottom