Advice...Red Japanese Maple

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can't say I have ever been this weak...I feel like I am back peddling. I was just outbid on this number. And I ask myself...what is its value? Nebari...has issues. But it is a cute mame...and, that's all I am seeing with it in foliage. Chewing on if I am going to let it go...or bid. It's days from ending. A tree is only worth the value one bidding sets on it. I keep telling myself...wait for spring then buy a cute small clump. I'm more of a clump gal...I think...I'm compensating for just junk that has happened over the past year...that makes a purchase a pleasure. Realizing this...I am pondering on letting this one go.
image.jpg

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you should let this one slide, it doesn't make the grade for your garden. You have some delightful quirky trees, this one isn't adding value. I inderstand completely though about buying to busy our thoughts with fun things. Stay strong, and wait for something better. Have you looked at the clumps from Mark Comstock? They are amazing starter material!

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you have rational doubts about its characteristics now, what will you think once you purchase it and have buyers remorse? It is easy to get caught up in the moment and bid on something just because you are afraid you ar losing something. Look at it again from all angles and decide whether this is a potential winner for you or is lacking in too many areas. Only you can decide that, we can’t make the decision for you. BTW, where is this auction?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think you should let this one slide, it doesn't make the grade for your garden. You have some delightful quirky trees, this one isn't adding value. I inderstand completely though about buying to busy our thoughts with fun things. Stay strong, and wait for something better. Have you looked at the clumps from Mark Comstock? They are amazing starter material!
Mark was who I plan to talk to come spring (Adair suggested my contacting him.)...I really hate the thought of shipping trees now. Thanks...good advice. I just needed sound of reason.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you have rational doubts about its characteristics now, what will you think once you purchase it and have buyers remorse? It is easy to get caught up in the moment and bid on something just because you are afraid you ar losing something. Look at it again from all angles and decide whether this is a potential winner for you or is lacking in too many areas. Only you can decide that, we can’t make the decision for you. BTW, where is this auction?

When I was outbid...I was thinking...honestly, if I don't win...I don't think I would be all that devistated. So I analyzed it as trying to just get my mind off of things...by a purchase. But...in leaf, it could be cute. (((Shrugs))) Thanks...yes, buyers remorse when I do my headcount in my head...seeing I added this piece. I like exposed roots. But that nebari isn't what I would call that. I call it a mess. But that one lower branch with movement...caught my eye for the most part.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Spring is right around the corner ;). Wait for something you have no doubts about.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thanks Carol. It seems so far away with our weather right now.
I'm with you there, I'd just like to see the sun even if it is cold. I've been doing lots of tree shopping, out of boredom, knowing it will be months before it will be safe to ship anything I'm interested in. I'm trying to only buy something I really love.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Better start with better. Better starts with roots. The top portion doesn't justify the effort and risk with layering. Next
Thanks, yes...I kept going back to the roots. It's a tree with legs on the area I would consider a front. You all helped me pass on bidding further. Will hold out for a clump...which I have wanted all along. Just...winter blues. More so with the way the past year went. But...counting blessings and moving forward.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
New year, new chances.
Thanks...it's not even needing new chances. It's...dealing with the fact my dad did everything for his wife. His passing...trying to help her, yet teach her she is more independent that what she lets on, or feels she is capable of. Lack of sleep with sick dogs. Seeing my Aussie aging...winter blues. Among other personal things that effected family, but at the end of the day...when I close my eyes...my immediate family under my roof is okay. So counting my blessings...But molehills keep popping up. I need to remind myself to step over them and count the blessings. Wishing spring was here...yet, both boys graduating one high school, the other college. Spring will be busy as well. Maybe I need to just embrace winter...lol but I have never itched so bad for new material as I have this winter. Thinking I just want new trees as a distraction from everything else.

Reaction score
Life... We don't fall over mountains, but over molehills we sure do. Sounds like rough times and spring might help you. Winter is a lovely time to plan actions. Re-evaluate trees and planning things to be done when the world warms up outside. Set the bar a bit higher each year and plan how to reach goals. Do better than this maple.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Winter is a great time to beef up your container collection...and hunting pots (especially old ones) can be fun and even addicting...consider yourself warned!
I'm glad you passed on it. I'm starting my 3rd year back in Bonsai and I am using this time to buy pots like NB says but I am also doing a good inventory of my trees/plants. What needs repotting? What needs root work? What needs to be left alone? At some point I will make some sort of portfolio to track everything. It is also a good time to go ahead and buy any fertilizer, mix or insecticides/pesticides you might need.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Life... We don't fall over mountains, but over molehills we sure do. Sounds like rough times and spring might help you. Winter is a lovely time to plan actions. Re-evaluate trees and planning things to be done when the world warms up outside. Set the bar a bit higher each year and plan how to reach goals. Do better than this maple.
Again, thanks...you are so right about the maple. It's back stepping just for a purchase. Deep down, I think I knew it. I want better quality in my collection...than it. Been hunting pots with no success for the weeping Ryusen maple...plans to not extend the roots on my already Neagari Goji Berry. Embrace the smaller tree that is there already. So pulling it out of the project of extending the roots and potting it up. WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT.

Had some foot therapy with the dog...it always clears my head. Man is it icy under the black cinders and snow. Calling for an inch of rain tomorrow...what a mess that will be. PRIVATE lake roads...so speed limit set. Seeing AWD cars spinning and going no where fast. Had me avoiding the steep hill in case we encountered a car coming our way.
20190122_134358.jpg20190122_125223.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Winter is a great time to beef up your container collection...and hunting pots (especially old ones) can be fun and even addicting...consider yourself warned!
That's a thing...have been with no luck . I may buy just a nicer pot even if not a perfect match. It needs repotted this spring.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Didn't answer your question...over on 99 cent auctions on FB.

Top Bottom