Advice sought for southern magnolia

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I recently rescued a southern magnolia. It was grown next to a house so one side was severely pruned. The tree is now very uneven. I am also experiencing some die back at the top.

If I chop the trunk will magnolia back bud? I am thinking about redeveloping the canopy if I can.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently rescued a southern magnolia. It was grown next to a house so one side was severely pruned. The tree is now very uneven. I am also experiencing some die back at the top.

If I chop the trunk will magnolia back bud? I am thinking about redeveloping the canopy if I can.
Since southern magnolia (magnolia grandiflora) makes pretty crummy bonsai--leaves are HUGE as are the blooms, you're probably on your own with how to work on it. If there are specimens of Grandiflora out there, I've never seen one...

It should backbud. The Asian varieties of magnolia that are used for bonsai backbud pretty well...

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Since southern magnolia (magnolia grandiflora) makes pretty crummy bonsai--leaves are HUGE as are the blooms, you're probably on your own with how to work on it. If there are specimens of Grandiflora out there, I've never seen one...

It should backbud. The Asian varieties of magnolia that are used for bonsai backbud pretty well...
I am sorry I wasn't clear about my intention. I am not doing this as a bonsai. It is a huge 20 ft tall one that I rescued and planted in my yard. Normally I wouldn't ask the question here but this one requires knowledge from bonsai people who know how to rebuild the trunk and shape the canopy.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some things that come up:

"Prune a Southern Magnolia only when necessary, since they can bleed from pruning wounds. Magnolias can be slow to heal and not make new growth until the second season after pruning, so avoid large cuts into old wood if possible. When pruning your Southern Magnolia, remove the entire twig or limb down to its base."

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The tree could not sustain the high top with so much damaged roots. I chopped it low and cover the cut with plastic bag. After looking totally dead for 3 months, the tree budded this past week. Next is rebuilding the canopy.
ED5742FA-1A5E-49F6-985E-52F1F7CE51EE.jpeg
3F8B9D37-EA10-4808-8FAC-04A154C1412A.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am going to do the same thing I do with a chopped trunk bonsai.
Niwaki :)
E78D07A5-2706-439C-8AF4-25F440DA323C.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Well on the way. I think I can turn this into a gorgeous tree in short order.
080033E2-3460-4464-A1D2-FBBC8EF71B45.jpeg

Top Bottom