Advice styling this this douglas fir?

My Kind of Meat

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
20200826_171925.jpg
I collected this double stem douglas fir in spring 2020 and grew it in this ugly plastic pot I had lying around. It grew very vigorously this year and with some light pruning and pinching I am starting to get some good back-budding.

I would like to wire and style it this fall but I am unsure of what type of design to go for since I have never styled a bonsai before.

I notice that many double stem designs I have seen have the shorter of the trees anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 the height of the taller one.

Since the one on the right is more curvy and slightly thicker with an apex that is naturally shaped nicely, I am thinking I'll keep it as the dominant.

That still leaves me with the questions of building an apex on the left one. There is a medium sized branch about halfway up on it that would be the new leader.

Thats about as far as I've gotten. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas that would be very helpful. I am very open to critique and ideas so fire away!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Could we get a few more angles?
Hard to develop a strategy without much of a 3-D understanding.
Nice movement going on.

My Kind of Meat

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The first pic was what I was planning to be the front

This is one side

Attachments

• 20200919_113003.jpg
    20200919_113003.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 13

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I wouldn't keep it as a "double-trunk".

I'd remove the more straight trunk on the right in the last photo, maybe leaving a short stub of deadwood, and concentrate on the other trunk, on the left that already has a nice natural movement.

And put the rocks on the soil in my pathway to the garage 🤤

20200919_112954.jpg

Last edited:

My Kind of Meat

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wouldn't keep it as a "double-trunk".

I'd remove the more straight trunk on the right in the last photo, maybe leaving a short stub of deadwood, and concentrate on the other trunk, on the left that already has a nice natural movement.

And put the rocks on the soil in my pathway to the garage 🤤

View attachment 330132
Thanks, I like that idea! A big part of my struggle was how to cut back that stem in a way that looks good/meshes well with the curvy one. That would solve the problem!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

That trunks line is pretty straight for a while.

I wouldn't be in much of a hurry though.

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Limbs thin now, should be for awhile. Wait to wire until needles shed where needing wire. Could wire bare trunk now if desired;). If desiring bigger trunk need to grow in ground or bigger box for several years. Could use straighter trunk as sacrifice to fatten base and later remove. Please put personal location in profile.

Last edited:
Top Bottom