Advice With Juniper Styling

HMF

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I recently have been getting into bonsai, and purchased some Juniperus Horizontalis to just practice wiring and stuff with. After feeling like that went okay, I decided to take a risk and order another plant online. I ordered a 'Blauuws' Juniper Chinensis, and was pretty surprised when it arrived and was much bigger than I expected and looked extremely healthy. I ordered this tree because I had seem them used before, and their growth habit seems to be well suited for the type of tree I had in mind, a formal upright. Well unfortunately because I didn't have option of seeing the tree before I purchased it, that plan may or may not be out of the window. The trunk splits into two big branches, and a third smaller branch right at the soil line. I was afraid to dig too much into the soil though because there was a couple large surface roots.

What advice would you have as far as styling this goes? I suppose I could stick with my plan of a formal upright if I wanted to chop two of the branches (or air layer), but I was wondering if there were any suggestions that might utilize more of the tree. And would it be safe to dig a bit further down into the pot now to inspect it, or should I just wait until I repot next spring? I appreciate any help!

Attachments

• IMG_007965.JPG
    IMG_007965.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_007966.JPG
    IMG_007966.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_007967.JPG
    IMG_007967.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_007968.JPG
    IMG_007968.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_008021.JPG
    IMG_008021.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 70
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Having a fork like that can be challenging.
You can either embrace a twin trunk design, or take off the lessor quality trunk and go with your informal upright.

HMF

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Having a fork like that can be challenging.
You can either embrace a twin trunk design, or take off the lessor quality trunk and go with your informal upright.
If that was the direction I took would there be issues with cutting that close the the soil line? Not sure if there would be potential issues with rotting, or possibly ugly roots forming around the cut site.

Multi trunk. Just needs wire top to bottom.
Yea I plan on just wiring out a lot of the branches tomorrow, probably gonna take a little while and I didn't have the time to before it got dark today. I actually had seen that video though, and had considered doing something similar. If I do go with a multi trunk design I had also considered turning one of the entire outer trunks into jin.

HMF

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If I decide to go with a multi trunk design then I think this will be the front. Kinda hard to tell whats going on without the branches wired, but should give a general idea.

Attachments

• IMG_008022.JPG
    IMG_008022.JPG
    367.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_008023.JPG
    IMG_008023.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_008024.JPG
    IMG_008024.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_008024 2.jpg
    IMG_008024 2.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 57

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think this will be the front. Kinda hard to tell whats going on without the branches wired,
You have the real tree in front of you and find it hard to see what's there. Much harder to offer any real, informed advice on styling from photos that show even less.
I think you'll have to make at least a start on this one and come back when we can see more of the trunks and branches.
Don't be afraid to take out a few branches as they appear to be way too crowded for good bonsai anyway.
Try to leave trunks and branches if there's any possibility of them in any design. Easy to chop later but harder to put one back.

HMF

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You have the real tree in front of you and find it hard to see what's there. Much harder to offer any real, informed advice on styling from photos that show even less.
I think you'll have to make at least a start on this one and come back when we can see more of the trunks and branches.
Don't be afraid to take out a few branches as they appear to be way too crowded for good bonsai anyway.
Try to leave trunks and branches if there's any possibility of them in any design. Easy to chop later but harder to put one back.
When I said it's kinda hard to tell what's going on I meant from the perspective of someone else seeing it. I do have a much better view of what's there, which is why I also tried including a rough outline of where the trunks were. I plan on getting a lot of the branches just wired downwards tomorrow so it should offer a better view of what's actually there for everyone else. Maybe I should have waited until then to post, but I appreciate the response.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Juniperus Horizontalis, meet Juniperus not so Horizontalis !

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom