Advice: Work - workshop

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is nice to be appreciated. So I was thrilled when one of our online-teaching experts, who is also in the "employees society" of the faculty reached out to me: Hey, I have been studying your youtube channel. And I think it is really cool: Would you do a hands-on creative workshop for the faculty staff?

They would like a 2-3 hours workshop, hands-on (So no theoretical intro to bonsai). I get to decide the programme, need to provide materials and set participant numbers. And of course provide a cost-indication. Of course I would love to do this for them.

I am just not sure what is realistic to do in 2-3 hours.

Any thoughts on what could be done in such a workshop? I was contemplating getting a bucket full of cotoneaster plants, and haing everyone take a go at pruning / wiring / repotting. But 2-3 hours sounds like very short for this if you also need to get people into the topic.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Remember, this is not dissecting frogs, so no step-by-step instruction is needed. Bonsai is an art as much as a science, so you might do well to consult someone in the arts department, and ask how they might go about a similar workshop on something like pottery. I think you'll find that there are many parallels in this circumstance.

That said, I think you're on the right track, but I would suggest getting trees of several different needs. Some small in need of wiring, some in need of repotting, other in need of trimming. Plan for 3 hours. Take 30 to 45 minutes in the beginning to give a very brief introduction starting with the history and then aesthetics principles, followed by the basics of tree physiology. Then go around the room and point out what each person's tree needs and demonstrate a little here and there.
A fun way to start out might be to ask everyone to bring a picture of a tree in their neighborhood they admire, and use that as part of the beginning discussion after the history and aesthetics intro.

Also remember that most learning happens in bits and pieces, and is most effective when the pupil is entertained by it . This is an introduction, and they will not walk away with wonderful trees no matter what you do, so set your expectations appropriately. Children are just adults minus the experience, and none of your class is likely to have experienced this before.😉

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In addition to what is possible in 2 or 3 hours, I think doing all 3 of those things might be a but much timewise as well as for the trees ability to survive it?

Maybe consider getting plants that are already potted and they can prune and wire?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Procumbens nana can be done in 30 minutes. They'll be rough but I think you should be able to wire a trunk, clip a bunch of branches and wire 3-5 branches and an apex.
Peter Chan style.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe consider getting plants that are already potted and they can prune and wire?

Yes, thats the plant. Plant them in pots. Trim the canopy and roots now. Let grow till late summer then provide them with a tree to wire. And a small pot. If there is time, invite to repot. October would be perfect. Guess I am growing 50 Larch pre-bonsai

1680326237359.png

Top Bottom