advice

sbaddy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello
I bought an apple tree last year and I am trying to make it into a bonsai. I have noticed some offshoots and would like to know if I can turn these into bonsai as well. Any suggestions

Attachments

• 20200707_162332.jpg
    20200707_162332.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 29

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those look like “root suckers” to me.

More trouble than they are worth.

Try to brush the soil away from the base of the suckers and prune them close to the root they are coming off of. Let the wound dry before you cover with soil again.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Apples often grow lots of suckers from the roots, especially if the roots are damaged.
Cutting off at ground level will only encourage more shoots from the base of the sucker. Digging down and remove at the source is the most effective way to remove these as Nozzle head has already said though they will often grow back later.
You can grow new trees from the suckers if you want to. They probably won't have their own roots yet but will often strike quite easy as cuttings. Even if there is just a tiny start of a root the sucker will be way ahead and should take quite easy when transplanted.
Starting with such tiny shoots will take many years to reach bonsai but can be rewarding if you have that patience.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pull them weeds!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom