Advise on a collected burning bush

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks, I thought so too. I actually yanked this from some brush when I was out jogging one day. I jogged home with it about a mile and passed several people who looked at me like I was insane. Haha.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have a plan for the future, and you know which shoots you do not need, remove them. I find eonymous to not close cuts well, so I try to avoid branches formin in places where I do not want them. And they are ridiculously strong.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wires down some branches
Good first start. I know these branches can have very loose connections to the trunk. Buuuut.. Ideally you want to change the angle of connection, rather than loop them down over several inches. Here people often refer to branches like this as "pissing bows". Gently see whether theseallow you to widen the angle to the trunk. This might be too late already. I normally place a small branch between the young sprout and trunk to urge the branch away when still in the single leaf stage.

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Good first start. I know these branches can have very loose connections to the trunk. Buuuut.. Ideally you want to change the angle of connection, rather than loop them down over several inches. Here people often refer to branches like this as "pissing bows". Gently see whether theseallow you to widen the angle to the trunk. This might be too late already. I normally place a small branch between the young sprout and trunk to urge the branch away when still in the single leaf stage.
Yeah, I was afraid to have the branch break at the junction. Do you think I can pull them down little by little over time?

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, this thing was looking beautiful until…

View attachment 432398
A deer got to it. I know they’re one-flush, but I really hope I get another flush of leaves. Emergency flush? Is that a thing?
Trees like to live…and I’m sure if this one thinks it is gonna die from having no leaves all season it will push again when it has the energy. I wouldn’t sweat it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are just about indestructible so it will probably be fine lol

I've read that some people have cut back landscape bushes hard and they bounce right back

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Following this thread! I just got a burning bush today. This is a great thread lots of good info thanks!

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 440516
you were all right. She decided to live. Maybe some wire is due? Or is this the wrong time?

I'm detail wiring mine as we speak. As long as it's healthy I say go for it.

The branches on mine are brittle, but they don't really snap and break like a maple. They will 'kink' some and pop as you bend - which doesn't seem to phase them mine.

Top Bottom