Advise on plant type for a vertical multi-potted arrangement

Designbydalton

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,

I just recently designed a set of modular hanging planters that I believe would make a very intriguing bonsai. I am new and could use some advise. My plan is to have a plant that "hops" from pot to pot, starting in the top pot and dipping into the arranged pots below, rooting in each. What I'm looking for is some advise on a type of plant suitable for my planter strategy. I am new to bonsai so I don't have any experience tending to roots but I have lots of experience gardening and with indoor potted plants.

Here are some pictures of my new planter pots, I'm calling them Mod Pods. They interlock to create a unique arrangement and I can continuously add more as the plant gets bigger. They are a prototype that I 3D printed in a very strong Nylon Plastic. Any feed back on their design would be much appreciated. I will take all of your suggestions seriously as I am here to both research technique and improve my design.

mod_pods_planted_by_designbydalton-d787fcu.jpg

674x501_1606767_2089167_1391144225.jpg

674x501_1606767_2089166_1391144225.jpg

674x501_1606767_2089100_1391144225.jpg

674x501_1606767_2089101_1391144225.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some kind of ivy or maybe philodenderon? I just don't know about trees going in those.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Small bromeliads, air plants, and orchids could work in those. Basically plants that naturally grow in little pockets on other trees.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Spider plant would be a natural for cascading growth. Not sure it would be look very much like a bonsai, but it would still be cool!

Growing UP you could do a vine or ivy. Best "tree" I can think of that might work would be a creeping fig.

By the way, I wouldn't use those paper bags. I can't tell if they are supposed to be decorative, but I would use a moss liner.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As a kid, I've seen some schefflera growing in a "jumping" manner over pockets on rock formation waterfalls.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If indoors your choices are somewhat limited but outdoors is a different story. I could see a cliff side filled with cascading junipers and pines. Separate trees though not rooting from pot to pot.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
They look tiny compared to your hand. Can you make them bigger? How do they stand up to UV rays from sunshine?

Designbydalton

Seedling
Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the input. All of the suggestions sound like good ones, I'll do a little research on the types of plants you all provided to see what one I like the best. The plants will be indoors for the winter, it gets too cold for most plants. I will most likely move them out for the spring/summer if the plant will do better.

Design wise I will be making a few more styles of Mod Pods that are bigger, they will still interlock with these smaller ones but will allow for a much larger root system. Is there a pot size that is "prime time" for growing trained plants/bonsai? Or do people just pick based on plant? The pods are mostly "3 tall from tip to tip right now. Unfortunately the size is limited by the costs of 3D printing at the moment. I plan to sell them in the local nursery some day so I have to keep in mind what sizes work for both production and growing.

I also love the moss suggestion, I was mostly worried about leaving more room for soil since they are small. Does the moss even really need soil? I'm new...soil is all I know. The paper is actually just a coffee filter I had laying around, I figured it would hold up to watering quite well.

Lastly, UV will not affect the white materials at all but could cause a dyed version to fade. A spray on coating of polyurethane would protect the colors from fading in the elements and be cheap/easy. I think white looks the best so the prototypes are all white but they could be blue, purple, red or black.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Moss need a good balance of moisture. Without soil or too little on an open container like yours...they will become crispy in a short while. Probably faster in low humidity area like inside.

White doesn't guarantee UV resistance (though it may help)...you have to either know it as the characteristic of your raw material (though the printing may alter it also) or do some extensive testing. Put one on your roof and check on it in a year or two. ;)

Lastly, coffee filter won't work.

The biggest down side I can see on inside application is watering. Do you have a drip tray with these? With an all open small container like this...you might need to water several times a day => moldy wall. :eek:

Last edited:

Designbydalton

Seedling
Reaction score
A drip tray is a nice idea, I haven't had any issues with them getting the wall wet yet but they would certainly drip if you watered a lot. I will most certainly be making a drip tray. Thanks Poink88. Does any one use their drip trays for anything other than catching water? Like moss starts or something? I'm a utilitarian design fan and try to incorporate as many useful traits into my art as possible.

esons

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you do make a bigger pot for the main plant strawberries could work well. Not a bonsai, but it would look cool having strawberries all over a wall. Could help to keep some of the bugs off as well.

Designbydalton

Seedling
Reaction score
If you do make a bigger pot for the main plant strawberries could work well. Not a bonsai, but it would look cool having strawberries all over a wall. Could help to keep some of the bugs off as well.

Oh yeah strawberries would be sweet on a vertical garden, it would be like a strawberry tree. I'd do some sort of small variety like a wild cascade or something.

Designbydalton

Seedling
Reaction score
If any one was interested in trying out the prototype for themselves I would really love to have a few "seasoned veterans" testing them out, you could send me an email at DaltonBissell@live.com.

I think it would be very cool product research to have some knowledgeable people doing the same sort of prototype wall arrangement as I am. I figure if you all know enough to help me here, why not let you try them and tell me about your experience. With your help it could become a product rather than a piece of art hanging on my wall.

Designbydalton

Seedling
Reaction score
I posted a picture at the top/beginning of the thread, I chose to plant a variety of succulents that wont mind the dry environment. When I water them they drip into each other then down into my Christmas Cactus who lives just below them on a small table. I still plan on offering the drip tray some day but I personally don't need one. Thanks every one for your support in choosing how best to use these little mod pods. I'll be back for your opinions when I get bigger pots.

If any one has a cool idea I'm all ears.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why not a vine type like Wisteria, Bougainvillea or a Lantana. They grow fast and root into the ground wherever they contact it. You would also have the bonus of some beautiful flowers.

ed

toadmyster223

Sapling
Reaction score
Lantana is a great idea. a typical 12 inch tall bush is gonna have snaky roots at least 20 inches long, in my experience. Just feed them into extra pots, maybe score them a little or something to stimulate new topgrowth.

Wisteria is awesome too, it grows several inches a month if well-stoked with nutrients and water.

Top Bottom