Advise on pruning Mugo pine

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

Attached is the picture of a branch of Mugo pine. There is this small branch there on my Mugo pine main branch, circled in picture.

I think this main branch has become a bit long and needs to be removed. So my idea is to let this small branch ( and a similar tiny one that has emerged on other side this spring ) to continue.

I was thinking if there are any other precautions I should take before removing all the top bunch.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advise.

Attachments

• InkedIMG-0693_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG-0693_LI.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 68

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Remove the current top in steps, the tiny branches are not strong enough to take over. Start by just removing the terminal buds of the branch to be removed. Following year, take off half of the branch, third year, remove the branch but leave a stub. Fourth year, remove the stub.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Leo, Thanks for the advise.

When is the best time to remove the termianl bud of the branch that is planned to be removed? Should this be done in fall so that the tree has all winter time to prepare for any back budding? Please share any experiences .

Thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should this be done in fall so that the tree has all winter time to prepare for any back budding?

If the above is a correct statement, which I don't believe it to be, it will be out of natural rythym, so backbudding effects, if present at all, will be limited, or come at the expense of energy not meant to be used.

The natural rythym is for the tree to throw shoots in spring, which extend and terminate by the solstice, between the solstice and September, the tree is gathering energy and determining what buds to reinforce, or suppress, depending on the season it had.

That's why we cut for backbuds between the solstice and September. The tree is actively thinking about them, and putting energy into them that it would have even without a cut.

Are you seeking backbudding?
If not seeking it for closer branching it can become a nuisance.

If you are simply seeking more energy to go to that circled branch, I'd cut the whole rest off just before growth begins, around the last Frost.

Of course, that may be too much of elsewhere needs work too.
I'd only go full blow if you don't need to cut anything else at the time.

If seeking backbudding, do it around August.

Full pics Full pics!

Sorce

Top Bottom