Advise on transplanting field maple

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I live in London and have spotted a nice field maple with nice ramifications and trunk three inches in diameter.

Due to certain limitations on digging, I can only lever it off and thus likely that the thick roots will just snap off. I tried bending the trunk last week and could hear snapping of roots. What are the chances of survival of plant if the plant does not come off with lots of roots.

Thanks

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks Sorce for reply.

Assuming worst case that all the thick roots just snap off and what I get is the trunk with damaged base, what is likely to happen?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm afraid that finer roots you want to save will be damaged before thick roots by levering.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
"Will the plant develop new roots" is essentially the question? Also does maple store its energy in roots only or does the trunk hold some reserves as well?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Healthy maples can tolerate extreme root reduction at collection... but try to get as many as possible. I'm confused by the limitations in digging that you describe, and with that in mind, your "dig" may be more effective using a hand saw then a shovel. Good luck.

Top Bottom