Advise please, on collected pinyon and juniper

Captkingdom

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Last week I made my first collecting trip and bagged a nice pinyon pine and juniper as well as a small mountain mahogany.
I'm sorry to say I dont feel I collected nearly the amount of root I had hoped for. I have placed these in my window well which faces SE, covered it very securely with plastic sheeting, and am misting several times a day. Tomorrow I will also be adding a CO2 bottle.
Should I be worried about too much humidity developing in my mini greenhouse?
Levels fluctuate between 65 and 82%20150327_082516.jpg20150327_082458.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice grabs!

I'd let them get some fresh air, I like the setup though!

Sorce

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yes. They MUST be outside. Protected, if necessary, but isn't it pretty warm out west? I would do nothing but nurse them for at least a year. No pruning, no wiring, no root work, no nothing but fertilizer and water.

Captkingdom

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So outside? Meaning not in greenhouse with high humidity? I was doing this because I saw posts here and elsewhere from seemingly very experienced collectors who put their collected junipers in greenhouses to maintain high humidity. I am confused.
And yes it is starting to get warm. I was thinking of using some shade cloth over this to control the heat gain. I should mention that after mid day this is shaded by the house.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If you keep the trees well watered humidity shouldn't be an issue. These trees' foliage is well adapted to dry climates. Neither should sunlight.

Captkingdom

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you keep the trees well watered humidity shouldn't be an issue. These trees' foliage is well adapted to dry climates. Neither should sunlight.
Trouble is I collected very little root, so I was not confident in much uptake from roots.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It's the leaves that control uptake. Desert plant roots are designed to take advantage of any moisture they find, but it is transpiration thru the leaves that pulls it up thru the plant.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
With the juniper if you got hardly any feeder roots just mist the foliage 2-3 times a day and u'll be fine. Stay on top of them, but don't love them to death lol. Collecting material and after care come with experiance. Just stay on top of them and protect for any really harsh conditions. I use a shade cloth on newly collected material in the height of summer in the afternoon and remove around 4-5 ish when it starts to cool a bit

Top Bottom