Aerial roots - keep them or cut them

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I started this Willow Leaf Ficus fifteen years ago. During that time it would occasionally form a few aerial roots. For some reason during the past couple weeks it grew twenty of them, mostly in the canopy. I was wondering if this could be a sign that there are root problems or if it just mature enough to start producing a bunch at once.
If it is normal do you think that I should encourage their growth or remove them? I'm not sure what to do. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

willow leaf ficus (1).jpg willow leaf ficus (3).jpg

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's probably humidity, if it were mine I'd keep em you could have a really nice banyan one day, as is now still a great tree.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'd keep them organized, but I'd definitely keep them. Nice even base, no small feat for a nerifolia.

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It's probably humidity, if it were mine I'd keep em you could have a really nice banyan one day, as is now still a great tree.
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing. I've seen a technique where they put the roots in a split straw to encourage them to root. Or should I just let them grow and then direct them so they root in the appropriate spots?

Last edited:

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'd keep them organized, but I'd definitely keep them. Nice even base, no small feat for a nerifolia.
Thank you Brian. I appreciate your comment. Should I keep the roots which are forming high in the tree or discard them and concentrate on the lower ones closer to the trunk?

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think keep them all.
You can always remove them later if you don't like them.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thank you Brian. I appreciate your comment. Should I keep the roots which are forming high in the tree or discard them and concentrate on the lower ones closer to the trunk?
For now, I'd keep them, but just be sure they're routed in a visually pleasing way. They don't always make it to the soil, so once you know which ones are going to make it, you can start to decide. Getting to stay outside all but 3 days a year should help!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should I keep the roots which are forming high in the tree or discard them and concentrate on the lower ones closer to the trunk?

I personally don't like when you can see where they came from and that point is bulging.

I also think this tree is nice without them, and it'll Probly be a long time before it looks nice with them.

If you do keep them, or even not, I'd like to see this in a more wide/shallow pot.

Sorce

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
For now, I'd keep them, but just be sure they're routed in a visually pleasing way. They don't always make it to the soil, so once you know which ones are going to make it, you can start to decide. Getting to stay outside all but 3 days a year should help!
We are "lucky" that we have long summers and short winters down here. It's perfect for tropicals, but not for northern trees. There are dozens of trees I wish I could grow but I can't due to the absence of long and cold winters. But, then again, it's fun to brag about our sunny, 7o degree weather in January. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
..... If it is normal do you think that I should encourage their growth or remove them? I'm not sure what to do. Your suggestions would be appreciated.
Aerial roots offer three choices - in my opinion - and all of them are a matter of taste:

1). Remove them.
2). Allow them to grow ”as is”.
3). Train them.

I am partial to training them ….. but I've been to Angkor Thom.

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Aerial roots offer three choices - in my opinion - and all of them are a matter of taste:

1). Remove them.
2). Allow them to grow ”as is”.
3). Train them.

I am partial to training them ….. but I've been to Angkor Thom.
I think that I'll let them grow out and arrange them so they resemble a Banyan. The lower roots have grown over an inch since I posted this thread. I'm hoping that they continue growing. Thank you for your input.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I think that I'll let them grow out and arrange them so they resemble a Banyan. The lower roots have grown over an inch since I posted this thread. I'm hoping that they continue growing. Thank you for your input.
It'll be a beauty ............ and I'm already envious.

Angkor Thom: My inspiration .....

71516-5d186e62ae557d39da644495cc5a908c.jpg

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It'll be a beauty ............ and I'm already envious.

Angkor Thom: My inspiration .....

71516-5d186e62ae557d39da644495cc5a908c.jpg
Wow! Those are some serious aerial serious roots! Here's a picture of my Premna, which has a similar look as my Ficus.

Attachments

• premna (1) 9-13-15.jpg
    premna (1) 9-13-15.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 83

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That's a healthy premna. "Somebody" has been taking good care of it!
They are easy to grow but take forever to get any ramification. They grow like weeds but you have to constantly pinch them back to get any branching. And, like ficus they root easily. I started about a dozen cuttings from this tree. Thanks again for your replies.

TN Jim

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know this is an old post... but this post popped up in my google search results while searching for Premna. My dad, Mike Sommers, posted this 3 years ago. He loved his bonsai and this site.

He taught me at a young age to appreciate the beauty of bonsai and how it can represent ones true character... attention to detail, patience, vision, and most of all... respect for life.

He left us on January 21st after losing his battle with cancer. Before he died, he asked me to care after his trees and make sure they had a full life. I’m still dealing with the loss of my mentor and best friend, but the one place I do find joy is in my greenhouse tending to his legacy. Not only the physical trees, but the memories of us working on and discussing bonsai. I’ll miss that more than anything.

Dads trees have a new home In Tennessee and seem to be adjusting well. I just hope I can do as well of a job as he did.

Attachments

• 923F0785-3673-4055-AAAE-AAEC09B3AD07.jpeg
    923F0785-3673-4055-AAAE-AAEC09B3AD07.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 38
  • 18872C01-03D4-44F1-8D25-8D63128C43EA.jpeg
    18872C01-03D4-44F1-8D25-8D63128C43EA.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 35

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I know this is an old post... but this post popped up in my google search results while searching for Premna. My dad, Mike Sommers, posted this 3 years ago. He loved his bonsai and this site.

He taught me at a young age to appreciate the beauty of bonsai and how it can represent ones true character... attention to detail, patience, vision, and most of all... respect for life.

He left us on January 21st after losing his battle with cancer. Before he died, he asked me to care after his trees and make sure they had a full life. I’m still dealing with the loss of my mentor and best friend, but the one place I do find joy is in my greenhouse tending to his legacy. Not only the physical trees, but the memories of us working on and discussing bonsai. I’ll miss that more than anything.

Dads trees have a new home In Tennessee and seem to be adjusting well. I just hope I can do as well of a job as he did.
So sorry about your dad. But he will live on in his trees and the memories you have. What a lovely legacy he left you. The trees, and the time you spent together, which you will surely be reminded of as you tend the trees.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
... My dad, Mike Sommers, posted this 3 years ago. He loved his bonsai and this site.
He left us on January 21st after losing his battle with cancer.

Attachments

• Mike Sommers Friends.png
    Mike Sommers Friends.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 35
Top Bottom