Aerial roots on ficus using straws

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My ficus tree produced three aerial root buds this year. I’m encouraging further directed growth using plastic straws. It was hard to find these at stores as plastic straws are banned in California and had to order them online. With every watering, a little bit of water gets into these straws and helps elongation of the roots to the ground. I think the key is to keep the roots moist.30658B3E-19D4-44DF-9360-F9DF3A1E1BFC.jpeg7155EBFE-CA89-4911-961A-CCFC74800CD5.jpeg03F9F708-D004-4427-8A7C-8C44BCE14194.jpeg413E4188-7BBF-4A9C-8CDB-C73B53D73B2C.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I did the exact same thing this past growing season and it worked great.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If straws are hard to come by,, I've used napkins and note cards rolled cigarette style with a bit of sphagnum to hold moisture to good effect. I'm thinking of trying Pixie-Stix...the flavored sugar in a tube candy...next.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've done this with straws and wrapping sphagnum in plastic wrap. I've had better luck on my shefflera than on ficus, but both seem to depend on a few variables including how early in the season you do it (if too late, they dry out when temps cool down in the fall/winter), pruning and maybe pot size / when it was repotted. I've had issues removing the straw without damaging the root, so I've tried cutting the straw and taping it before placing it. I've also used beer cans with the top and bottom cut off, filled with bonsai soil.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My ficus tree produced three aerial root buds this year. I’m encouraging further directed growth using plastic straws. It was hard to find these at stores as plastic straws are banned in California and had to order them online. With every watering, a little bit of water gets into these straws and helps elongation of the roots to the ground. I think the key is to keep the roots moist.View attachment 341908View attachment 341909View attachment 341910View attachment 341911
I've done this on F. Retusa and Hawaiian Umbrella - of all the attempts, black straws worked best, the roots seemed to turn brown and die most attempts. Also, I cut the straws lengthwise from end to end - way easier to remove and can let the root tip get established in the soil. Any updates?

Top Bottom