Afghan Pine or Pinus Eldarica

sokrkids

Seed
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to create a bonsai of this tree? I am new to the art of bonsai. I picked this tree from the local nursery trimmed it and potted in a growing pot a year ago. The plant looks scraggly with brown needle tips but si growing with lots of back budding. Any tips on care would be greatly appreciated. I live in Phoenix AZ.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
You might want to get well acquainted with the Phoenix Bonsai Club and their website. They have a pretty nice plant list and some basic instructions. Eldarica is on this page: http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/PPlants3.html#GroupIII

You might have better luck with Aleppo and they have shorter needles. All that said you can do great things with Bougainvillea, Olive, Pomegranate, Vitex and a few others. Remember, shade cloth is your friend.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's another name for it as well, but it eludes me.

I brought a 2" one back in my suitcase from a Phoenix landscaping nursery about six years ago when I was there for some training. I put it in the ground here in my "pine garden" - a completely different climate here than it is used to - and it has done fairly well except that it hasn't budded very far back onto old wood, and looks a bit straggly - nothing insurmountable though. It has thickened up nicely (about 5" now) and might be going into a grow pot/box in a year or two. Fair nebari. Rather uninteresting bark at this stage - it may mature nicely - we'll see. The needles are a bit longer and more delicate looking than I like, but some experimenting with training & pruning techniques may help with that.

My thoughts are that a tree used to harsh climates will more often do well in a cushy climate than vice versa, and this is one example.

rock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone tried to create a bonsai of this tree?

sure ...lot of times

always mediocre results, I stick to Japanese Black now, they can take similar heat, and are easier, more valuable, and better looking

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My main gripe against the Pinus eldarica (Afghan pine) is that they don't have the vitality and energetic growth that is comparable to the Black pine. So, the black pine outperforms it in every aspect that I can think of. Slow to back-bud, slow to respond to pruning, lots of weak shoots that eventually die back.
Having said that, it could be that we just don't know enough about this species, and fail to give them the optimal conditions, so we treat them just like a black pine. I don't see a problem with needle length, it is comparable to black pine (mine is actually shorter), so as long as it responds well to needle plucking and fine ramification (which I don't know, since I am still in the trunk-building stage), that shouldn't be an issue.
But it can handle heat well, so in Arizona it may be a good choice. With the Phoenix heat severely limiting the choices you guys have, any plant that can survive is a good addition. So, I would encourage people to experiment with it, in order to expand our bonsai choices and add diversity.

Last edited:

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
taking a deliver of a Afgan pine this week. In Snohomish Washington a little milder weather than Phoenix so it will be n interesting Bonsai experiment.
I have several other pines and all are doing great. Thsi new guy is about 10 inches tall so will see what happens. Thing about making a skinny no branch on the
bottom tree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom