African style bonsai

Reaction score
My first African style bonsai, an acacia, done last week in Namibia...

_MG_2481.jpg

Inspired by the tree we saw during our bonsai safari...

tree.jpg

_MG_3827.jpg

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Robert you captured that image well, nice job.

Pictures show some beautiful country.

Thanks for the look.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Namibia is another inspiring country for bonsai after China. You should see to believe, simply breath-taking. My next creation will be dedicating to our Namibian friends who made our bonsai safari so wonderful...

_MG_3025.JPG

_MG_4442.JPG

_MG_5533.JPG

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great job! I look forward to your next pictures.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Robert, those last few trees are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There are many people, myself included, who may not get a chance to see landscapes like this in our lifetimes. Thank you for posting these pictures and giving us the opportunity to see these beautiful trees. :)

Also, your acacia is amazing! Very nice work. Do you plan on growing more secondary branches below the canopy, or are you keeping it close to how it is now?

Reaction score
This bonsai belongs to Don, I did asked him to refine the foliage including forming better ramification structure to show the details. They have many bonsai in such style (see the below picture), but mostly potted improperly which in my opinion, do not strong enough suggesting the nuance of african nature. That's why I tried to work on this tree.

a.JPG

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The landscaping there is amazing, thanks for posting. Hopefully, some day I will be fortunate enough to make a trip there.

I love some of the African style trees I have seen lately and the one you posted is fantastic. There is one listed on Wigert's website for sale that reminds me of these tall flat top canopy trees. Too bad $12,000 is a bit much for me right now, or ever :(

Is anyone familiar with Willow Leaf Ficus designed in this African style - flat top look? I have one right now that is a broom style that could possibly be worked towards something like this.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That top tree has me coming back again and again to see it. I love it, thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Great tree but stiil feels like it's missing something, more weight on the right, or possibly a wider pot ( to the left)

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Robert,

Glad you enjoyed our coutry, unfortunately you need a lifetime and a good 4x4 to see the best!:cool:
I've been to and worked in some remote corners of the Namibia, and I'll need to win the lottery (not ours!!! LOL) too see the rest.

Glad to hear your visit was pleasure and not "work", I would be kicking myself if I missed a presentation/workshop!

Cheers
Gerhard

Reaction score
Thanks Gerhard, this is the country I will certainly come back...

elliott

Yamadori
Reaction score
There is a book called bonsai styles of the world. I forget who the author is, but I believe you can get it from, stonelantern.com. The author is from south Africa and there is a huge chapter on the "pierneef style" like this acacia and other African styles. It is an original and informative book on modern styles and forms of bonsai. reading and studying books like that and of cource robert steven's books will realy boost your creativity.

Top Bottom