After the rain...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Nice trees Dave! At what temp would you shelter or bring in a recently repotted maple?
Good question... morning lows tomorrow and Sunday predicted to be mid 30's, so perhaps a touch of frost but that's fine as all my maples are in development mode. The long range forecast is calling for a possible hard freeze toward the end of next wee with temps in low 30's to upper 20's... that could be a problem. I live in fairly protected micro climate and my yard has typically stayed 5-7 degrees warmer then the forecasted lows during the spring and fall. I'll be watching the temps carefully over the next few weeks to see if that holds true. Any chance of the soil freezing and they're either going in the garage or under the deck and pushed together.... again.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I mean, I’m the one who has to buy the beers! Dave says that if HE tried to buy them, he’d get carded!

Wait...
Do they offer senior discounts then? Bawahahahaha, sorry first thing came into my head...if they carded him. What is It...AARP card or something?

Cool dog though Dave! All serious now...a beaut!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No frost in your yard after February, for 8 years??
Better find some wood to knock on...
It's funny living on a steep hill like I do. I swear that during these transitional periods between seasons, with warm days and cold nights, the cooler air basically just slides through my yard and settles lower, and this, in turn, displaces some warm air that moderates the temps up on the hill. I can't come up with a better hypothesis as to why it happens, but it does. I'm never comfortable with the forecast being below freezing and not doing anything, so I'll probably be throwing a lot of bed sheets onto my trees this weekend and hopefully (?????) won't need it.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm never comfortable with the forecast being below freezing and not doing anything, so I'll probably be throwing a lot of bed sheets onto my trees this weekend and hopefully (?????) won't need it.

The forecast called for 1 - 3 inches of rain here today. Wish it would stop :p This was taken a minute or two ago -

IMG_1768.JPG

Grimmy

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice pics Dave. What is the tree in the 2nd pic? If I were just looking at the lower trunk and nebari
I would've sworn it was a Bald cypress tree.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That is, in fact, a bald cypress I collected several years ago in S.C.... just leafing out now.
The lichen? On it made me look twice as well, at first I thought you had flat topped a hornbeam!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's funny living on a steep hill like I do. I swear that during these transitional periods between seasons, with warm days and cold nights, the cooler air basically just slides through my yard and settles lower, and this, in turn, displaces some warm air that moderates the temps up on the hill. I can't come up with a better hypothesis as to why it happens, but it does. I'm never comfortable with the forecast being below freezing and not doing anything, so I'll probably be throwing a lot of bed sheets onto my trees this weekend and hopefully (?????) won't need it.
Dodged bullet #1... the closest weather station to my address is reading 30 F at 7 am... the thermometer outside my kitchen is reading 39 F. 2 or three more morning like this and I should be in the clear here.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Top Bottom