Aftercare for a yamadori Mtn. Hemlock

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
With four of the five trees I’ve collected this year I appear to have gotten a good root system. This mountain hemlock is the exception.
It was growing out of the decomposed material of another fallen tree, and when I wiggled the trunk there appeared to be a good intact root system just below soil line. When I dug it out the material it was growing in all fell away and exposed very few feeder roots. It also has a very big foliage mass.
I’m trying to decide whether to cut it back at all to reduce the amount the root system needs to provide for, or leave it be and cause no further harm. Or if there is any other advice out there. I’m afraid this one may be on a wing and a prayer either way, but I owe it my best effort. It’s my first year collecting hemlock so any input would be greatly appreciated.
4EC8E693-06C7-4D1F-9DA8-0D0BBE53E9B3.jpeg

Reaction score
Personally (from my own experience (in my landscaping trade)), I would cut back a lot of foliage. That way there is less "Green" needing to be supported by the few remaining roots. This will give it a chance. Otherwise, keep it moderately shaded and well watered. Best of luck.

May we see the other four hemlocks?

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Here is one of the other hemlock. I have one other that I haven’t taken any pictures of yet. The other trees I dug were this lodgepole pine and sub-alpine fir. Crummy pics as I was watching the kids and running out of daylight. I’ll get better pics up before long.
B102D209-7DED-459B-89BE-F12B655C1265.jpeg70ADA262-E7D9-4A94-8D91-C5DA66DD8524.jpeg19A9917A-C393-4B97-925F-3D60B8433054.jpeg

Reaction score
I love the subalpine fir. :))
One look at it and I already have ideas of what I would like to create with it (or at least attempt to create! lol).

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Anyone else have any thoughts on this one? I’ve received different opinions from folks I’ve reached out to, and I feel like if I should act soon if I’m gonna make any cuts. But I want to make as well informed moves as possible. Any other takers?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone else have any thoughts on this one? I’ve received different opinions from folks I’ve reached out to, and I feel like if I should act soon if I’m gonna make any cuts. But I want to make as well informed moves as possible. Any other takers?

I have never removed foliage from collected conifers except for what was needed to get it into a vehicle or something. Results have been good but very little hemlock experience. I hear the removal opinion a lot too and have no idea who is more correct really.
If you want to keep the foliage cool, humid and in less intense light I’ve got a easy practical strategy for that if you like.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I have never removed foliage from collected conifers except for what was needed to get it into a vehicle or something. Results have been good but very little hemlock experience. I hear the removal opinion a lot too and have no idea who is more correct really.
If you want to keep the foliage cool, humid and in less intense light I’ve got a easy practical strategy for that if you like.
I’d love to hear any strategy you have found success with.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’d love to hear any strategy you have found success with.

I’ll use it for junipers that are really special and seem like they might need it. Hemlocks? Couldn’t hurt. I have it going on right now.

The cloth is a lightweight row cover called remay. Let’s light through for photosynthesis but not so strong as full sun. Breathes and white colour doesn’t overheat like poly. FD97EF63-AE21-44C9-8DAD-960CE18E0CBC.jpeg

Lots of moss clumps tied to branches and woven between branchlets to hold moisture, acts like a swamp cooler while drying keeping temps down and humidity up. The live vein is also moss wrapped. A0BE36CD-56D5-4928-B6E1-3A303F085196.jpegBE0925D0-C448-4115-A155-6A48ADD38C62.jpeg

I spray from underneath with a high volume mist nozzle. As often as possible. Could pull the cloth and do from above if you don’t have the right mister.5A6C7828-8BD0-4005-8DA6-184158F37C30.jpeg

The cloth does breathe really well so humidity still only stays up for so long, not all day. A couple hrs on a hot breezy day like today.

Top Bottom