Ageing maple bark with sandpaper

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’d be curious to see the results in a couple years. I prefer to paint the trunk with a diluted lime sulfur solution every spring. Good anti-fungal, and pest control properties as well...

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I did this with a ficus carica some years ago. I used a brass wire brush and lightly scraped the bark. It worked. I’ll post some better pictures tomorrow.

Attachments

• B0C9377A-C655-4627-B94B-FEB2E0970901.jpeg
    B0C9377A-C655-4627-B94B-FEB2E0970901.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 24AF6DC7-E764-491C-AD8F-A80DF02438F5.jpeg
    24AF6DC7-E764-491C-AD8F-A80DF02438F5.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 74

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’d be curious to see the results in a couple years. I prefer to paint the trunk with a diluted lime sulfur solution every spring. Good anti-fungal, and pest control properties as well...
for sure, but I love the look that the bark has... I'm gonna try on my house trees.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could this not kill potential buds that havent shown yet

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Totally off topic, but is this guy from Chile too @barrosinc ?
I'm practicing my Spanish and I can understand this guy perfectly as opposed to Spaniards, Bolivians, Columbians and Mexicans which all seem to talk super fast.
I might have to watch some Chilean youtube channels if Chileans all talk this relaxed.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Time makes everything easier with clay, it's really been ringing true and hitting home lately.

Same is true, if not truer for bonsai.

Demasiado Trabajo.

Sorce

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Totally off topic, but is this guy from Chile too @barrosinc ?
I'm practicing my Spanish and I can understand this guy perfectly as opposed to Spaniards, Bolivians, Columbians and Mexicans which all seem to talk super fast.
I might have to watch some Chilean youtube channels if Chileans all talk this relaxed.
definitely spaniard.
we speak worse than all those listed hahaha

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
As he says, it was an accident and he tried to replicate ir using sandpaper.
After just one month the results are pretty good to make the trunk look older; I wonder if someone has already used this as a technique?
Very interesting.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As he says, it was an accident and he tried to replicate ir using sandpaper.
After just one month the results are pretty good to make the trunk look older; I wonder if someone has already used this as a technique?
Very interesting.
I'm definitely trying this out on a younger tree.
I wonder if the nodes will sprout as usual on these areas

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I thought this was a technique that I dreamt up myself, but I heard someone mention the other day that they used it too. Obviously I can see many people have had this thought already. I believe the person was Harry Harrington, he posts on IG way to frequently for me to fact check myself but if anyone is interested it's all there. It makes perfect sense though. You wound a maple and it produces rougher bark. I just wouldn't do it during times of fungal threats

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bulimia works, too.

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would love to see some tests from this in removing minor wiring scarring that isn’t deep. The unknown effect on node development and fungus is a concern though

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can drink yourself to death a little at a time. Smoking works faster or slower, depending upon a bunch of factors. But there's always No Hope With Dope if you're a damn the torpedoes kind of guy. You open the door just crack to the Pale Horseman, and the rest is history. Bonsai is already a dangerous occupation for trees...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if the nodes will sprout as usual on these areas
As far as I know, the buds are well within the bark when dormant. And just like loads of buds forming around the nodes when you cut away a branch, the ree can regenerate damaged spots. If this is not done with a sanding machine, but really only hurst the outer cells, I would not expect any trouble.

Top Bottom