Aha! Learning moments.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What are some of your Aha! moments? Moments where you saw, read, tried something different, or just finally understood an aspect of the art, that lead to a moment of joy or an increase in confidence in your abilities as a bonsai artist.

One of my instant ones was after trying to get wounds to heal on trunks long term by slowly healing over, I made an uro on one, and the tree was instantly transformed into something attractive with potential vs. a prebonsai with an ugly wound.

A slowly learned one for me was in the early days, I would lose trees in the spring to fungal issues not fully understanding what was happening. I read about systemics and applying lime sulfur as a dormant spray and that changed all my future spring growth for the better.

I’d love to hear some of yours.

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few years ago I realized the difference between a living and growing juniper, and a healthy juniper and what a difference it makes in styling..

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I read Peter Chan's "Bonsai Masterclass" book in 1993. First time I had seen pictures of field-grown "trunk chopped" trees being dug up and reduced. A game changer for me after doing bonsai for a few years before. This may sound silly, but this was Pre-Internet. There were no online references, it was books and clubs --and the clubs were only as good as their best member's willingness to talk to you...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I finally realized that we keep trees small by periodically cutting back to interior growth once the current growth gets too long.
Linking that with all the things we do throughout the year to maintain/promote that interior growth so that it can happen

Finally getting enough knowledge to be brave enough to work on my own trees to accomplish the above

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Before I started buying bonsai I forced myself to learn about perched water and how it relates to bonsai. Am so glad I got it. Am right brain dominant so had to force myself through some pretty dull material. Someone told me on another forum that if I didn't understand it I'd never 'get' bonsai so I did it. Glad I did.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
After my 8th Japanese Maple death.... I said to myself, " Aha! I can't keep Japanese Maples alive!"
Haven't killed one since.

...cuz i haven't obtained another since.....

Might try again next year though....been a few years, started paying more attention to proactive treatments and such....

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
What are some of your Aha! moments? Moments where you saw, read, tried something different, or just finally understood an aspect of the art, that lead to a moment of joy or an increase in confidence in your abilities as a bonsai artist.

One of my instant ones was after trying to get wounds to heal on trunks long term by slowly healing over, I made an uro on one, and the tree was instantly transformed into something attractive with potential vs. a prebonsai with an ugly wound.

A slowly learned one for me was in the early days, I would lose trees in the spring to fungal issues not fully understanding what was happening. I read about systemics and applying lime sulfur as a dormant spray and that changed all my future spring growth for the better.

I’d love to hear some of yours.
Lost my best juniper by bad re pot technique

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After my 8th Japanese Maple death.... I said to myself, " Aha! I can't keep Japanese Maples alive!"
Haven't killed one since.

...cuz i haven't obtained another since.....

Might try again next year though....been a few years, started paying more attention to proactive treatments and such....
I hope you get it figured out because your climate is perfect.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There have been several along the way.
I used to get mad because my ficus never grew. I had to learn to let them grow. Put the pruners away.
Water as needed- check each tree, don’t water on a schedule.
You can read a lot but you have to find out what works for you. That means you have to be brave enough to try different things until you have success.

63pmp

Shohin
Reaction score
Went to a conference with special guest Mr Kimura many years ago. Among a number of things I learnt, the game changer was his advice to be good at bonsai, one needs to do lots of practice, and to get lots of practice you need access to a lot of trees.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Visit #1 to Ryan Neils garden 2014. Seeing movement/contortions of Ponderosa Pine Yamadori unbelievable to behold. Huge lesson of possibilities without a word said. Second was recommendation to use Pumice as substrate as ideal for pines🤔.

Top Bottom