Air grafting mimosa's and crepe's?

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Since learning about air grafting, which I had no idea could be done, I'm stalking the neighborhood tree's like a serial killer.

We live near the water, and across the street is a vacant lot. I noticed this mimosa growing in the rocks on the banks and wondered if I could successfully air graft a piece of it. Do mimosa's usually fair well with air grafting? Any tips on which part to take?
IMG_4715.JPG

And right next to our RV (we're full timers), is this HUGE and very old crepe myrtle. There's plenty of baby shoots on the bottom, and a few trunks that have previously been pruned and have off shoots. I was thinking of air grafting a piece of this tree as well. What do y'all think? Am I getting a little too overzealous and ambitious for knowing absolutely nothing?

IMG_4717.JPG IMG_4719.JPG

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I believe you meant to say "air layer" as opposed to "air graft". I personally have not air layered crepe myrtle, nor mimosa, so I can't say whether easy or difficult. You should just try it. Don't rush it, it can take as little as 6 weeks, or if can take several years with certain Conifers, so don't be in a hurry to get the air layer off the tree. Wait until you see new roots, lots of new roots.

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You’re correct. I meant air layering.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If the trees are publicly available, I'd place two air layers ler tree and take four cuttings.
Success is in the numbers.

You'll need to water those air layers at some point.. If you're up to that, I'd say go for it. Experience can only be gained by doing something.

Top Bottom