Air layer Cork Bark Black PIne

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Can it be done? I'm not talking a winged corker just a normal cork bark black pine. I don't know the specific variety. If it can whats the best time? I've heard summer but I would think that would cause excessive sap bleed.

Also what have you all found is the best time to do a drastic cut back on them, with the least ill effect on the tree. I'm talking taking a 4 foot tall tree and cutting it down to 1.5 feet high.

Thanks
Ben

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
George Muranaka does a nice job of documenting his work with layering pines. Unfortunately, he appears to be having trouble with his blog currently (or maybe it's a new browser I'm using). But this is surely a good place to start, if you haven't already.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
George Muranaka does a nice job of documenting his work with layering pines. Unfortunately, he appears to be having trouble with his blog currently (or maybe it's a new browser I'm using).

It was working fine this morning. I recall lots of sites, even bank's/broker's, would not work with IE9 when it first came out because of 'standards' issues. Firefox, Chrome, Safari for windows, and Opera all worked then (and are free).

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've done generic JBP on both old wood (ca 5 yrs) and last year's candles and JBP 'thunderhead' View attachment 44407 on old wood with no real difficulty other than it takes at least a calendar year, so I don't think it matters much when you start it. George Muranaka is a bit north of you, gets harvestable results in one growing season, including cork barks. You ought to go see him.

I believe that George's airlayer are on new growth only- I may be wrong though.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I believe that George's airlayer are on new growth only- I may be wrong though.

You are correct, Bob. My point, though, is that layering last year's candle is not a necessary condition for success. George is amazingly open about what he is doing and it is all laid out in his blog (just click that underlined stuff - its a link to George's blog).

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've done generic JBP on both old wood (ca 5 yrs) and last year's candles and JBP 'thunderhead' View attachment 44407 on old wood with no real difficulty other than it takes at least a calendar year, so I don't think it matters much when you start it. George Muranaka is a bit north of you, gets harvestable results in one growing season, including cork barks. You ought to go see him.

Thanks so much for posting this! I have read it is difficult/ near impossible to root a JBP on old wood. I am happy to see him accomplish it in the link.

I have tried some cuttings and most are still green after a couple months, but I have a tree I'd like to layer.

Top Bottom