Air Layer Ficus microcarpa

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi all. I have a very standard s shaped Ficus, (the ones they sell at brussels bonsai) was wondering if I layer below the lowest branch if it will be likely to succeed (both the base and the top) it's been putting out very vigorous groth since about march, and I hear mid summer is the best time to mess with these.

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It'll succeed. Heck, you could even just chop the tree and plant the chopped section and it would be successful.
I will say i've taken multiple larger branches I pruned and they rooted super easily. Cool! May give it a go! thanks!

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It'll succeed. Heck, you could even just chop the tree and plant the chopped section and it would be successful.
Is this cultivar specific? I know F. microcarpa root super easy but are others more finicky?

The Ficus Guy

Seedling
Reaction score
Is this cultivar specific? I know F. microcarpa root super easy but are others more finicky?
Some are more finicky than others, such as the case with benjamina. Willow Leaf are super easy as well.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Some are more finicky than others, such as the case with benjamina. Willow Leaf are super easy as well.
It’s weird with Bennies.. I’ve had more success rooting thicker, meatier cuttings, while about 2/3 of the initial “softer-wood” cuttings failed.. crazy!

Whereas, microcarpas (for me) root very easily.. but seemingly “stall” for longer than most OTHER ficus cuttings...

Burt Daavis (In my opinion) are about halfway up the difficulty ladder.. and need a moderate amount of monitoring and care..

Pumilas (My current favorite) root QUICKER than microcarpa (in my experience) but “stall” for just about as long..

That’s all I can attest to.. I’m only working with the four species at the moment.... not by choice 🤣

I just get carried away discussing fascinating contrasts within genus.

Top Bottom