Air layer help. Where ...?

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Where should I air layer? Trunk is about an inch and a quarter. Should I put it in a grow box first and layer it next season? So many options I’m clueless. 4DC67547-A78F-4F25-B508-DFDFD1C4542D.jpeg1AA4C431-4304-4BE5-9B39-875085890EB8.jpeg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
As a general rule of thumb: air layer the part with the most taper and the lowest branching.
Since the tree looks pretty much taperless, I'd go with one of the branches.

The internode length on this tree is insane. I don't know a whole lot about maples, so I'm not sure if they can bud from anywhere, or just from the nodes. If the latter is the case, then I'd leave the trunk alone or layer just below a node.

Someone else will chime in though, and probably have better advice. I'd wait that out if I were you ;-)

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might start by air layering at the graft to get your varietal on its own roots. Other than that I'd have a look at the top of the tree (not shown). Is there something up there that would result in a good trunk line with taper?

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I’m considering putting it in a grow box before I air layer. Thoughts ?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m considering putting it in a grow box before I air layer. Thoughts ?

I may be the wrong person to ask because if I don’t plan on transitioning a tree into a bonsai pot within a year or two, I’ve been slowly transitioning everything (yes everything) into 5, 7, or 10 gallon nursery pots. This is my alternative to ground growing for the sake of faster development, while still being able to control environmental conditions and move them around if needed.

If I were going to do anything to your tree repot-wise, if it were mine, I would put it in a larger pot, or repot only if the soil it’s in is not presently healthy for the tree. A larger pot without touching the roots if soil can jive, yup.

If the soil it’s in is fine, why mess with it? If you are planning on airlayer(s) of the top, maybe best to not mess with the standard A. palmatum rootstock downstairs that can be chopped to, down the road, when you have gotten 3–5 trees from airlayers.

I know this could be justly argued, but the only advantage to a box personally now that I see is to develop the roots of the groundstock for transition to eventual placement in bonsai pot following a big chop..I mean, you could put it in a bonsai pot today....but that will slow it down significantly....I think same goes for box vs. big ass pot or in the ground -the box is slower, for things I don’t want to thrive vigorously.

Naka, was it Naka(?), said one insult to a tree per year or something like that..but in reality we can sometimes get away with much more than that right..?

Here’s an example -the two front-middle are A. palmatum the diameter of my pinky with a board under them...anybody wanna have a box v. big pot grow-off??
78F82E31-942D-4CDC-8F27-3DDFE622CA80.jpeg

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I was gonna put it in a grow box to allow the roots to grow horizontally. Don’t want it becoming root bound. I’ve had this tree for about 3 months and haven’t touched it yet. I figured now would be the best time to take the next step.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was gonna put it in a grow box to allow the roots to grow horizontally. Don’t want it becoming root bound. I’ve had this tree for about 3 months and haven’t touched it yet. I figured now would be the best time to take the next step.
So you’re saying you wanna have a grow off?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're gonna grow it grow it on the old roots first !

Sorce

Top Bottom