Air layer in late summer

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for posting this. I am from Woodstock Ga and just did some air layers in early July on some jm's that are in shade all day. My first time. Cant see any roots yet. Did you just put them in pots after cutting them for the winter?
Yes, potted up the layers after being separated and placed with the rest of my maples for the winter.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive got a Hedge maple layer I started on June 24th. I started it in a 4" pot wired to the tree so I can't tell if roots are growing or not. Figured I'd leave it and check at 8 weeks but the suspense is killing me.

hedge.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Roots! Gonna leave it on another week or two and seperate it this month.

IMG_20190807_170640.jpg

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I've had great success performing layers in spring, either just before the spring push or after the leaves have hardened. I've never layered something this late in the year, but I've always thought about trying, since trees tend to grow a lot of roots in the summer and fall....so I made one today, using my knob cutters and the evil rooting medium of moist sphagnum moss. It is 90F today and humid as hell...my first frost date is typically in early November but can come as early as mid to late October. Let's see what happens.
View attachment 114627 View attachment 114630 View attachment 114631
What’s purpose of aluminum, do you think it helped?
if I plan to do major trunk cut back in coming spring, can I fit airlayering in between that? So it’s not wasteful chop?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What’s purpose of aluminum, do you think it helped?
if I plan to do major trunk cut back in coming spring, can I fit airlayering in between that? So it’s not wasteful chop?
The foil supports the plastic wrap and reflects sunlight, which might cause the plastic to degrade/fail and it keeps the rooting medium and developing roots cooler... and you can see that I was successful starting my layer in late August.

Top Bottom