Air layer in the wild

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not so much according to this experiment.
The gist is no oxygenation can occur in this sort of mix.
I imagine it really MUST be the gel beads or orbs or whatever you want to call them in order to allow air to circulate through the medium. This is not an air layer experiment, and used a similar but different brand product, though.

It might be worth a try straining the gel bits out of the water once they've expanded, but I think they'd still be too small and too tightly compacted.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not so much according to this experiment.
The gist is no oxygenation can occur in this sort of mix.
I imagine it really MUST be the gel beads or orbs or whatever you want to call them in order to allow air to circulate through the medium. This is not an air layer experiment, and used a similar but different brand product, though.

It might be worth a try straining the gel bits out of the water once they've expanded, but I think they'd still be too small and too tightly compacted.
If you mixed a little of this into an air layering medium it technically would allow it to stay hydrated for long periods of time and in theory it would be a “no maintenance, one and done” air layer for remote or hard to get to trees that take a while to root and are in hard to reach locations.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you mixed a little of this into an air layering medium it technically would allow it to stay hydrated for long periods of time and in theory it would be a “no maintenance, one and done” air layer for remote or hard to get to trees that take a while to root and are in hard to reach locations.
Theoretically, yes.

Also, lots of YouTube videos on planting house plants in orbeez, but nothing on how well they actually work. I think the kids will want in on this experiment over the summer.😉

But I did discover that the word we're looking for is HYDROgel, not aqua. Found one on using the stuff found in disposable baby diapers as a cheap replacement for the water crystals above.

A quick search reveals lots of options for purchasing on various scales, and a fistful of detractors and concerns with using them agriculturally. I haven't done any price comparisons yet.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried remote air layers a couple of years back. I used sphagnum moss wrapped tight. I could get there about once a week to water. 2 mile walk each way. The layers stayed moist enough, but it was an experiment with manzanita and the layers failed anyway. I'm in a cool, moist area so these had the best shot that one could expect. It was a pain in the butt. Hope you have better luck.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tried looking up aqua-gel, and that's a skin care brand now days.
It does make me think of Orbies, sold as a kids' toy. They behave just as you describe; you get a package of tiny pellets that you soak in water, and they expand exponentially as they absorb it into spherical gel balls. They're made in bright colors that look kinda like candy, but they're supposed to be completely nontoxic.
I'll continue looking into it because they may actually be the same product just aimed for different markets. That means to growing medium may be a different cost than the toy, though the toy maybe more readily available.
I'm very interested now because if these could have incredible applications for bonsai.
I'll do some digging and see if I can come up with some more info. I'm pretty sure it's an agricultural product, maybe hydroponic specific. I'll check with some of my old buds and see if any can recollect any better than I do.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, that's the stuff. Back in the 70's I would mix it with potting soil in grow bags and walk the line with a five gallon backpack sprayer. Guerilla growing.

Bad_Bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I fully understand your concern . I would like to think I’m not that old at least no grandkids yet . I started I. Bonsai 22 years ago . I was at one time on the executive of the Ottawa bonsai society in. Ontario Canada . I did take a break from the addiction for almost 10 years . Or at least greatly reduced the number of trees I have and did not start any new projects . I restarted last summer . I am not a huge social media person but joined this group to see what was new and going on . In hindsight I get your concern the trees I am referring to 1 is a Common juniper Juniperus Communis Needle juniper growing out of a rock on the shore of a small lake . Not sure of the age but I don’t think it’s that old but you never know I know the land owner and have permission most people here consider it a weed . But it is kind of interesting with some deadwood and a bit of a rare single trunk upright form not even sure it’s still there no reason it should not be but have not seen it in 4 years . The other trees are Quercia Alba white oak . They are a group of about 15 trees on a rock cliff most or all of them are growing out of cracks and are way to big anyway . A bunch of 3 to 4 feet wide trunks . But there in a windy location. . Was thinking There are lots of old bark branches with nice movement . A branch would make a nice tree . I do not know the owner yet . Trying to track that down located the person that owns the land adjacent it . It’s been inherited and not sure if location of owner . Adjacent guy said be no problem with the parents but there is no way I would proceed with out land owners permission . I also started this thread thinking others may be interested thinking as you know . Good collectable trees need to be A legal and B collectable thought it might open up some ideas for people on legal ground . I did not mean to offend any one . I fully understand your response I admit I have very little experience with air layering. Hope that re assures you I would not do any thing that would reflect badly on Bonsai . Or especially ethical and legal collection
You were a part of the OBS? I've been considering joining for a while but don't know what I'd get out of it as it's all online right now so I may as well be watching YouTube videos. I've been doing bonsai on my own for like 5 years now with nursery stock.

What was your experience with the Ottawa Bonsai Society?

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OBS was a lot of fun . I quit bonsai for 10 years so have not been active in the club . I Advice everyone to join a club . No matter there experience level . We had a lot of fun field trips collecting trips guest speakers and demos . You meet a lot of fellow tree killers . Probably the best thing I did for the club . Was contact the Japanese government with the idea of holding the annual fall show at the embassy . Which is very cool 😎 club members get to display there trees at the Embassy on Japanese. Land . Which also started a relationship with the embassy . The show is still there as far as I know . I’m not a social media devotee . So don’t do faceplant . But I’ll be going back when meetings restart see some old friends I hope . You should join you will not regret it . I understand you can do a lot on line . But think of it as adding another . Avenue to enjoy the addiction. Like the Japanese bonsai teacher that showed up at the show . Was just visiting his brother here . Hardly spoke English . But was more than happy to draw alternate design ideas for trees . Here was a man that seen all the masterpieces in Japan . Fascinated by . Collected trees native to Canada . That he had never seen . Bonsai is global

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What I have decided to try . For a experiment is normal air layer with plastic bag and moss . At bottom of bag I’m going to have oil dry clay . Run a wick from the oil dry . Thru a tube . To keep it moist . Into a plastic bottle attached to the parent tree . All this on a tree or several trees I can monitor . Goal is to see if the layer will stay moist . Without adding water . Should work oil dry is a absorbent . And can hold considerable moisture that the moss should be able to access

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What I have decided to try . For a experiment is normal air layer with plastic bag and moss . At bottom of bag I’m going to have oil dry clay . Run a wick from the oil dry . Thru a tube . To keep it moist . Into a plastic bottle attached to the parent tree . All this on a tree or several trees I can monitor . Goal is to see if the layer will stay moist . Without adding water . Should work oil dry is a absorbent . And can hold considerable moisture that the moss should be able to access
Keep us posted.

Top Bottom