Air layer just above failed layer?

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’m thinking of air layering my acer palatum just above the bare spot on the shoot where my last layer failed. Anyone have experience doing this? My last layer I did at the wrong time of the year with the wrong soil. I have some pure spaghum and a better idea of what I’m doing now, but am unsure if I should try a different branch or ensure I’m far enough away from the original cut.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some maples root easily while others are less frequently successful. I've heard that the somewhat challenging ones can take 2 seasons to air layer sometimes. As Leo said, make sure the cambium didn't bridge the girdled segment, even use a wire tourniquet to help prevent that. I have a Mikawa Yatsubusa that I tried to air layer last year. It threw out one strong root and maybe a few fine ones. I left it alone all winter and if it doesn't have enough roots, I will re-wound the cambium in the spring and make sure the cambium didn't bridge the girdle.

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Some maples root easily while others are less frequently successful. I've heard that the somewhat challenging ones can take 2 seasons to air layer sometimes. As Leo said, make sure the cambium didn't bridge the girdled segment, even use a wire tourniquet to help prevent that. I have a Mikawa Yatsubusa that I tried to air layer last year. It threw out one strong root and maybe a few fine ones. I left it alone all winter and if it doesn't have enough roots, I will re-wound the cambium in the spring and make sure the cambium didn't bridge the girdle.
It didn’t bridge. I think the soil may have dried out or my rooting powered got brushed off or something. It calloused over at the top of the cut. I’m going to use a clear container this time instead of a bag so it will be easier to see and I can just leave it on. Thanks!

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It didn’t bridge. I think the soil may have dried out or my rooting powered got brushed off or something. It calloused over at the top of the cut. I’m going to use a clear container this time instead of a bag so it will be easier to see and I can just leave it on. Thanks!
Yeah, my mikasa yatsubusa airlayer seemed to have just amassed callous and not much else at first. On the other hand, about half of my kotohime cuttings taken after leaf drop took root almost immediately. The cultivar makes a big difference

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
If it has not bridged the previous cut it is just a matter of time before the top dies. There needs to be connection between roots and top for long term survival. callus is usually the first step in making roots. I would suggest you just did not leave your layer in place for long enough.
My preference would be to redo the original layer.

Top Bottom