Air Layer + New Branches

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just got a largish nursery stock that I need to trunk chop down for bonsai. However, it's got lots of great growth up top that'd be a shame to lose, so I'm inclined to air layer it. My main purpose in buying it, though, was for the base, so I don't really want to forsake developing that for a year while waiting for an air layer. If I start an air layer now, will I still be able to encourage new branches to grow below the layer point?

If air layering while getting new branches below the layer is an option, any additional info on encouraging that is appreciated. If not, then I'll just chop and hope for the best.

Additional info:
- This would be my first air layer.
- The tree is Acer Rubrum.
- I just planted it in the ground today. I figure whether air layering or chopping, in the ground will give it the best ability to recover and get on its way.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Normally when you set a layer, the tree will start pushing buds below the layer, yes.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Making this bullshit we believe...

I don't really want to forsake developing that for a year while waiting for an air layer.

Not true.

Besides, what's a year?

Sorce

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Making this bullshit we believe...

Not true.

Besides, what's a year?

Sorce
I don't understand what you're getting at. What's not true?

And a year is a year. It's not an insignificant amount of time. I'd rather not waste a year of development if I don't have to. I don't think that's unreasonable.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't understand what you're getting at. What's not true?

And a year is a year. It's not an insignificant amount of time. I'd rather not waste a year of development if I don't have to. I don't think that's unreasonable.

A layer doesn't waste a year.

There's more evidence, like buds popping below it, that it is actually more beneficial for the tree, making development of the lower part increase.

The only thing that may hinder development is shade from the layer. This is easy to prevent.

Sorce

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
While it may or may not hinder/slow developments under the layer, what about healing of the wound?

Depending on tree species, one year may be a pretty good head start?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Given the tree is an Acer Rubrum I’m not sure the OP has anything to be concerned about. I’ve an number of Red and Autumn Blaze maples and these just want to grow... and grow. Given the OP stuck the tree in the ground properly an air layer in June ought to be gone by fall and the base tree should be well established for the winter.

cheers
DSD sends

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, so with the question of "can I develop new branches below while air layering above," it sounds like the answer is yes. I didn't know if air layering would delay development below the layer, so that's why I was asking. Here's to hoping I'll have two healthy trees by autumn, and one with a good trunk with some new shoots. Thanks.

Top Bottom