Air-layer oak aftercare help?

keegan

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi there!

I live in Los Angeles.

I air-layered a cork oak. Layered March 2017, checked for good roots in Oct and again in January.

Finally split March 1, 2018 with some good roots in a small-fist-sized ball of sphagnum.

I planted the top in a new pot with well draining but not super-airy bonsai soil. I did not trim anything from the top.

After 3 weeks it is March 22nd, and the leaves are going yellow. It has been rainy most of March and the pot has never dried out fully.

And so, my questions:
  1. Is it normal for the tree to drop all its leaves during this time? So, nothing to worry about?
  2. Should I have cut back the top leaves to reduce transpiration (but as I said, it has been humid and rainy).
    2a. Should I cut the top back now?
  3. Should I have potted it in something with more oxygen, more porous and root-stimulating, like pumice?
    3a. Should I take it out and do that now?
    3b. The reason I ask is that maybe it has been too moist and the roots are rotting?
Thanks in advance for any advice! See attached pics of the top (yellowed leaves) and the bottom (leaves look good).

Cheers,
Keegan

cross-posted in oak forum

Attachments

• IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0549.JPG
    IMG_0549.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 13

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This looks to be a duplicate thread.

Regarding leaf drop - look around. Are cork oaks in your area dropping old leaves now?

Top Bottom