Air layer only one side of the branch

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I have to air layer some of the thick branches of wisteria in my garden. The branches which I had air layered last year and which did not root were all dead by spring, possibly because the wood was exposed to frost. Only one of the nine branches had produced root.

So I really don’t want to risk any flowering branch this year and so was wondering if anyone has tried air layering only one half side of the branch. Will that work?

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you mean not cutting entirely around the branch and instead leaving a strip of bark on one side?

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Unfortunately, that won't work. If you don't remove a ring all the way around down to the bare wood, the tree won't be forced to create roots, as it will continue to send nutrition across the bridge that is left behind. I believe it's typically recommended that you remove a section of bark at least as thick as the branch, as well, as you don't want it to bridge the gap somehow.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes it will not work given phloem can conduct sap sideward as well.

Any suggestions on any brand of rooting harmony which really works on wisteria

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
any brand of rooting harmony which really works on wisteria
If you want to get technical, look up the concentrations that are best for rooting wisteria, and find the appropriate concentrations of a product called Hormex. It is a good product, with many different levels of strength.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hello Friends,

I have to air layer some of the thick branches of wisteria in my garden. The branches which I had air layered last year and which did not root were all dead by spring, possibly because the wood was exposed to frost. Only one of the nine branches had produced root.

So I really don’t want to risk any flowering branch this year and so was wondering if anyone has tried air layering only one half side of the branch. Will that work?
It won't work. It's an all around cut or nothing because you have to cut off the flow in the phloem. I think your problem had to do with timing. Most people start their air layer early in the spring and collect them late summer or early fall. I'm not saying air layers won't survive winter but your chances of success are lower if going through winter.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are commercially propagated by cuttings in July. I have succeeded with hardwood cuttings I collected in early march and about 5 out of 10 rooted.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
For me the main point is that the branch I intend to air layer is full of flowering Spurs and I dint want to take risk. The shape of the branch is well in canopy shape already.

I have checked the harmonies suggested earlier. Hormex #3 is fir wisteria.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Just a follow up question. When is the earliest I can put an air layer in wisteria. Currently my wisteria has just opened new leaves.

Top Bottom