Air layer or cutting?

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
DISCLAIMER: Im not doing anything now. Just planning.

This is off of nursery stock ordered online 'blind' (yes i know but its what i got for now). I'm looking to remove the old leader that has some interesting groth from the way it been cut back for years from the nursery. There's not alot of room to work with without getting into what i plan on doing with the tree itself. Size wise, i could "maybe" see both being able to take?

20191018_202300.jpg

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You could do it either way. If it was me I would probably strike it as a hardwood cutting in spring after the first set of leaves harden off while keeping humidity high.
Its right at that in between size, where its small enough trying to get sphagnum or a pot with soil around it will be awkward.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The new leader that i had planned to use, is that other branch coming from the same cut, and use it to start building the canopy. Would i be better off to just use the bigger to help it heal over better?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would air layer something which I was dead-set on keeping, as you have a higher chance of success rate with air layering and you can be more precise.

I would use cutting propagation when I have clippings left over from pruning or needed to cut something off quick for whatever reason that I hope to keep.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would air layer something which I was dead-set on keeping, as you have a higher chance of success rate with air layering and you can be more precise.

I would use cutting propagation when I have clippings left over from pruning or needed to cut something off quick for whatever reason that I hope to keep.
I do agree but do you think there would be enough room to get a air layer in there and still keep the obtuse angle?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its tight. Check the likelihood of success for rooting as a cutting for the type of Palmatum you have. If its high, go that route. If its low, try the layer?

Top Bottom