Air Layer or large cutting American Larch

Reaction score
USDA Zone
i was wondering if air layering or doing large cutting from a american larch had a hig success rate and would it be worth trying?

This tree i have i been studying all spring and i think i want to take the to half where theres no branches and make a small tree or leave it and make it into a tall pole tree. are suggestions welcomed

Attachments

• Larch 1.jpg
    Larch 1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 76

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Cutting no, but air-layering using a split pot with fine soil topped by a couple inches of packed in unprocessed sphagnum moss. I use the wire method on larch--never have ring barked them before. Sometimes it takes a while--sometimes it does not work. Nick Lenz's first book goes over how he does it. He prefers live sphagnum. However small larch are cheap and easy to acquire so I wouldn't bother with the air layer. I say fertilize heavy this year and let grow. Next spring repot lightly spreading the roots then chose a lower branch and cut off everything else and let it grow again.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Crust is pretty much our resident larch expert. I would do as he says on this one. The top of your tree is unremarkable so I would not try to save it. But I think the bottom is worth it. Chop and go from there.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would do as Crust said...unless you just want the practice and experience of growing one from air layering. Note that air layering may slow your tree's development down a bit too making it really not worth it if you are just after another plant/tree.

good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you all for you respones.I was just wanting to chop it but thought i could make something of the top but not if its going to slow down the development of my tree.i'll follow Crust advice and let grow and work on in spring next year.

Top Bottom