Air layer or not

Vasyl

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is my little fusion project with Ficus Retusa. I was planning to airlayer next summer to get rid of the gaps between the three trunks at the bottom. But I am itching to do the airlayer now and add a few more twigs to be fused with the trunk. Is it still safe to do it now or should I wait till next summer?

Attachments

• 15376256637431815968352.jpg
    15376256637431815968352.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 15376257023793591828.jpg
    15376257023793591828.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 39

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In Illinois you must be getting ready to bring your Ficus indoors? If you don't have an optimal indoor set up to keep your tree growing strongly all winter, I would wait until you have it back out next spring for the air layer. You want to air layer when the tree is healthy and strong, not just getting by. It really depends on your indoor lights, humidity, etc.

Vasyl

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In Illinois you must be getting ready to bring your Ficus indoors? If you don't have an optimal indoor set up to keep your tree growing strongly all winter, I would wait until you have it back out next spring for the air layer. You want to air layer when the tree is healthy and strong, not just getting by. It really depends on your indoor lights, humidity, etc.
It is going indoors in a few days. It does ok with the artificial lighting I provide but doesn't grow much during the winter. The tree has a lot of surface roots so I am considering cutting off the bottom half of the root mass instead of airlayer and repotting deeper. But I do agree that it would be better to wait

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ivan just sent out an email saying October 4th is the last day for tropicals to be outside in the Chicago Area.

So get in , and leave it alone till next Summer.

Vasyl

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ivan just sent out an email saying October 4th is the last day for tropicals to be outside in the Chicago Area.

So get in , and leave it alone till next Summer.
Will do

Top Bottom