Air Layer Pines?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey all, just a random question here, but how well do Pines Air layer? More specifically, how well do Austrian Pines Air Layer? Thanks any and all!

Ryan

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hey all, just a random question here, but how well do Pines Air layer? More specifically, how well do Austrian Pines Air Layer? Thanks any and all!

Ryan

I can only tell you what I have read and heard second hand. Pines will layer but it takes three to five years to do so.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Vance. That may be too long. Any idea as to why it might take so long to air layer one?

Ryan

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Vance. That may be too long. Any idea as to why it might take so long to air layer one?

Ryan

The nature of the sap, it is a very resinous plant; the source of its strength and endurance. If you take the time to look up some of the early research on Zuishio White Pine in International Bonsai, you will find that this tree is often grown from cuttings and air layers but the trick, at least with cuttings, is to let the slip dry out for a few days. This has to have something to do with the sap.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Where are you located? I have layered JBPs in one season from starting the layer to removing it from the parent tree. I am in Florida and therefore have long growing season to help. If you are in a less tropical climate that might stretch it another season.

Good clean and sterile cut, proper hormone, fast draining soil and DO NOT LET IT DRY OUT once the roots get started.

Must be done on a healthy and vigorous tree.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ryan from what I have seen on the forums, Graydon is one of the one that has had lots good results with this, I'd trudt his advice.

Nice to see you stop by Graydon, hope you find the time to continue.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Graydon!

I'm in Northern Virginia/D.C. area. I'm sure if I started the layer at the very beginning of the season it should have enough time to grow. How long does it normally take?

Thanks!

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I started the tourniquet method last fall and by spring there was nothing,i reapplied the wire,daubed on the Clonex added more sphagnum into a bigger plastic pot but have yet to see roots emerging from the base.

In the meantime i was confused as to how much candle growth and how many candles i should allow so i nipped out the tips but the candles are still slightly longer than i have a use for.

I surpose the question is if you keep on with the layering are roots assured eventually?

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
graydon
can you please tell us more about you technique?

what percentage IBA? powder or liquid? what is you media turface, moss etc? what kind of cut full ring how deep? open pot or plastic wrap? when do you start it?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Now as to the last post it is a shame that BT is Down/gone, Graydon had a ton of educational posts there.

CitizenV

Seed
Reaction score
This post is 11yrs after the original post. I recently have success air layering Austrian Pine(Pinus negra). Two years in a row I started an air layer on this pine, both were started mid summer on the Redwood coast of California. Both rooted out by Fall. I used either the typical white powder or clonex, I use both, I prefer Clonex but it costs more. I’ve tried other pines with no success yet. I was surprised at how fast they root, faster than my j. maple layerings. Hope this helps🌲

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm in zone 5b. I made roughly 10 attempts to air layer different cultivars of JBP and had 5 produce roots their second year. I made about 7 attempts to air layer JWP, and had zero success after 4 years. Yes, I kept the air layer in place for 4 years. No roots, just some callus.

Pines are notoriously difficult to air layer compared to deciduous trees. Most pines will not air layer, but the odd individual will do so. You never know if you don't try. Don't plan on paying the mortgage with the money you make air layering pines. Success is limited.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've got 2 pine layering projects going on now, an Austrian Pine and a Scots Pine. Started the layers this spring. Checked them recently and they just had a bit of callus, no roots. Covered them back up. I'm using pure akadama with a sphagnum top dressing for the layering medium on them because I'd read somewhere that supposedly what Ryan Neil uses for layering. Figured I'd give it a try.

Diggumsmack2

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So here's a bit of useful or not useful info. Did an experiment in the woods with an Eastern White Pine. Took a 12" sapling bent the top to ground and lay a log on the trunk about 3/4 up the tree20210917_145540.jpg. No bark cutting at all was done also no root hormone. Here are roots after approx. 18 months

Top Bottom