Air layer & planting on a board?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You can plant it direct onto the board if you want to.
However that is not the point. Your air layer should already have a good radial root system. There's no point in putting it on a board when it already has good radial roots. The few roots that grow down can easily be trimmed off next time you have the tree out.
What species are we talking about?

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
You can plant it direct onto the board if you want to.
However that is not the point. Your air layer should already have a good radial root system. There's no point in putting it on a board when it already has good radial roots. The few roots that grow down can easily be trimmed off next time you have the tree out.
What species are we talking about?
Thanks @Shibui
It would be a JM. I see your point about the roots already being radial, so no point for the board.
Can’t wait for spring to try my first air layer!

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Your air layer should already have a good radial root system. There's no point in putting it on a board when it already has good radial roots

Unless the goal was to continue to grow very horizontal radial roots! A lot of my maple air layers will spend the next 10-15 years on boards! I'm aiming for a particular aesthetic, of course :)

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, you can take an air layer and go directly to a board. The newly established roots are soft, and don't provide any reasonable root ball to secure your tree into the pot. When you separate your layer, screw through the board into the cut trunk base, securing it flat to the board. Now your layer won't wobble, and your new roots will have a great start.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are some quick sketches of what I described above. Of course, this assumes the new layer trunk can accept a screw, maybe 3/4” or more.

DCE636A9-8079-464B-9FAD-69405BD0F6F7.jpeg8CABC7E1-280F-4FC8-BD07-D6FD8C990A5F.jpeg

Top Bottom