Air-layer removal in spring

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I did this Chinese Elm air-layering late last summer. It not grow any apparent roots so I let it sit over winter and early spring. Now the roots are growing and the leaves are set. Is this a good time to remove and pot it up?AE6B6F0A-5612-4A94-97BF-061DBEFE7F19.jpegDF711D43-3FDA-4D0E-BE30-6B9FC1DBEEC5.jpeg7ED4D61F-6E15-4C0D-A74A-46D20C7811A0.jpeg5050F46B-93F7-449A-A8B6-1A709FFF3752.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup, looks about right.

Note: You have a fairly small rootball for the amount of foliage. An alternative strategy could be, considering it is early in the year, to either trim the layer back now, and wait for it to start sprouting. Of if you want to grow out the layer, and would like to keep as much foliage as possible, to put a larger pot around the layer and let it root a month longer with more space, fertilizing and watering the pot as normal, end separate later in spring.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yup, looks about right.

Note: You have a fairly small rootball for the amount of foliage. An alternative strategy could be, considering it is early in the year, to either trim the layer back now, and wait for it to start sprouting. Of if you want to grow out the layer, and would like to keep as much foliage as possible, to put a larger pot around the layer and let it root a month longer with more space, fertilizing and watering the pot as normal, end separate later in spring.
I like your second strategy, i.e., add more soil in a larger pot around the air-layer. Thank you

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would be happy to let the roots grow a little more in the current bag. At this time of year it should not take long to grow a lot of roots.
I have found that you need to be watchful at this stage. The new roots are removing a lot of moisture from the bag for all those leaves above. Some layers I have left just a bit too long died and it seemed to me they dehydrated after using all the water from the bag.
A larger bag/pot as suggested will work but probably more work than necessary. A modest prune when you take it off would be easier and the lost foliage should be replaced pretty quick at this time. I have found that layers can survive even if they have what looks like few roots for the branches above. Roots are growing fast now and the layers seem to be able to focus attention on more roots when they need to.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
P
I would be happy to let the roots grow a little more in the current bag. At this time of year it should not take long to grow a lot of roots.
I have found that you need to be watchful at this stage. The new roots are removing a lot of moisture from the bag for all those leaves above. Some layers I have left just a bit too long died and it seemed to me they dehydrated after using all the water from the bag.
A larger bag/pot as suggested will work but probably more work than necessary. A modest prune when you take it off would be easier and the lost foliage should be replaced pretty quick at this time. I have found that layers can survive even if they have what looks like few roots for the branches above. Roots are growing fast now and the layers seem to be able to focus attention on more roots when they need to.
Thank you, Neil. These are great pointers for me. I will keep an eye on the roots/watering situation inside the bag and make sure the roots don’t dry out.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Ok, the deed is done. The one on the left is the mother tree and the one in the middle and right, are air-layers. The middle one could be a formal upright and the right one, a cascade. I really like the cascade and I can make it even more of a vertical cascade by just repotting. I just hope it survives. The middle one had lots of roots but the right one, not as much. Pruned some foliage on both but they still have plenty left to help grow more roots.6067A242-E697-4D5B-BC2A-051F2A5F4EBD.jpeg823F0E82-3558-47B5-807E-BA848947F537.jpeg
9EBAE1E3-4291-4F85-AE48-277FBD6C5EE2.jpegC549B72A-0DEF-4189-910C-01574D2AF7E4.jpeg

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
2-18-22 update: the mother was wired last month in January. Now it was repotted into a shallow container. I wanted to see if I can attach a tile after I cut off the taproot. The hardest part was drilling two holes in the tile; must have used a drill bit specifically meant for such application. In any case, the tree was screwed to the tile. This not only helps with anchoring the tree to the shallow plastic pot but also helps with nebari (hopefully).AC6E535F-08A3-445B-A675-972CBFB9B288.jpeg636CB4FA-AA20-406D-B937-1168341697E2.jpegF2062A0E-16F1-49C0-B405-EBD8A6BF37A8.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you want the nebari to improve, you need to give the tree a reason to grow new roots, and the option to do so. It seems this tree is not potted deep enough to really do this.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you want the nebari to improve, you need to give the tree a reason to grow new roots, and the option to do so. It seems this tree is not potted deep enough to really do this.
Good point. The bottom of the pot has a ton of holes. I will put it flush on a bed of pea pebbles. Several of mine with a similar set up throw down roots and show vigor pretty quickly.

Top Bottom