Air Layer Rooting - when to sever?

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I created an air-layer on a ~3ft Shimpaku whip roughly 8" up the trunk a few months ago. The moss is roughly a 3" ball around the layer wrapped in foil. Today I took a peak and spotted a half dozen large roots (1/8" diameter) running inside the plastic(roots are roughly 4" long I'm thinking. How much longer should I wait to remove the layer and pot it up? Once I do pot this up, should I put this in the shade?

somegeek

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Geek, shimpaku root very easily and recover very quickly when either layered or as cuttings. You have enough roots if you want to separate. Sever it, remove the wrapping and plant in a good bonsai soil, making sure it is tied in very securely. Being tall, it sometimes helps to tie the top to the container at three points, like a tepee. Shade for a week or two and then into sun. Don't let the soil dry out. There is enough air space in the moss that excessive watering would not cause problems until re-potting in spring. Once you see signs of new growth feed aggressively.
Wood

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the reply, Gary.

I went ahead and removed this layer tonight. There were little shoots poking out from most areas of the coir ball(previously noted I used moss while I used coir). I potted it up/braced it in a 50/50 bark turface mix. Went with more organic in the mix to help provide a little more moisture while these roots establish. Placed this in a mostly shaded area that gets about 2 hours of sun after sunrise so it will be protected from the summer heat.

I did regret using the heavy plastic I did to wrap it as I snapped off a long root when removing the plastic even though I was being very careful. Next time I think I'll use multiple layers of saran wrap. At any rate I'm just happy to see this layer has roots as my first layer. Now to see it make it to fill out this pot.

somegeek

Attachments

• shimpaku_layer_1.jpg
    shimpaku_layer_1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 90
  • shimpaku_layer_2.jpg
    shimpaku_layer_2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Geek, a follow up. One concern for shimpaku in the NW is Phomopsis, juniper tip blight or one of it's cousins. Which one doesn't really matter, they will all destroy a bonsai. For bonsai growers I recommend spraying fungicide prophylactically. Rotate brands and types to prevent resistance, spring, summer and fall.
Wood

ps I know the arguments and dangers of prophylactic application but in some instances I think they a justified. Just my 2 cents :)

Why can I give my 2 cents but only get a penny for my thoughts :D

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Geek, a follow up. One concern for shimpaku in the NW is Phomopsis, juniper tip blight or one of it's cousins. Which one doesn't really matter, they will all destroy a bonsai. For bonsai growers I recommend spraying fungicide prophylactically. Rotate brands and types to prevent resistance, spring, summer and fall.
Wood

ps I know the arguments and dangers of prophylactic application but in some instances I think they a justified. Just my 2 cents :)

Why can I give my 2 cents but only get a penny for my thoughts :D

Thanks for the reply and it's quite timely actually. I've seen a few tips on a few of my junipers start to brown and a Google image search of phomopsis turns up images which look very similar to what I am seeing. The brown tips I see currently are very sparse and no larger than 1/4" in diameter of an area but I want to nip this in the bud.

Which fungicide do you recommend? This is new to me.

Thanks in advance.

somegeek

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Geek, whatever you can get at any nursery or big box store. Just don't use it exclusively for follow ups. It (Phomopsis) is not difficult to control but it is persistent.
Wood

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Geek, whatever you can get at any nursery or big box store. Just don't use it exclusively for follow ups. It (Phomopsis) is not difficult to control but it is persistent.
Wood

Great - will take a look this weekend. Would I go through and trim out the brown spots on my trees?

I have been watering my trees daily(started a few months ago), not soaking, but just a sprinkle to wet the foliage in the morning during the warmer summer days. Curious if this was the culprit as this is the first I've seen of this.

somegeek

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Geek, are they in full sun? Shimpaku do best in sun,morning til night. If they are in full sun and have a good bonsai soil they will need watering thoroughly every day. The value of a good soil mix is that it eliminates a lot of guess work. You don't have to worry about "overwatering". To answer your question about mist. Phomopsis is ubiquitous in the environment so misting could be a problem but on the other hand, the plants are susceptible anyway because of the dew and humidity. That's why I recommend spraying. Then you don't have to worry about misting if that's what is needed.
Wood

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Geek, are they in full sun? Shimpaku do best in sun,morning til night. If they are in full sun and have a good bonsai soil they will need watering thoroughly every day. The value of a good soil mix is that it eliminates a lot of guess work. You don't have to worry about "overwatering". To answer your question about mist. Phomopsis is ubiquitous in the environment so misting could be a problem but on the other hand, the plants are susceptible anyway because of the dew and humidity. That's why I recommend spraying. Then you don't have to worry about misting if that's what is needed.
Wood

The position I had them in got sun from morning until around 2pm. Are junipers happy in full sun, even when temps hit 95ºF+ ?

Thanks for the info!

somegeek

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Geek, most everywhere you look, where juniper grow,it's wide open. They even grow in the Mojave. They love sun! Now, our job is to give our plants the best conditions that approximate their natural environment. (Different discussion) The problem is not temperature,ambient, but root zone temp. If root zone temp concerns you, put a towel or cloth around the pot.
Wood

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Geek, most everywhere you look, where juniper grow,it's wide open. They even grow in the Mojave. They love sun! Now, our job is to give our plants the best conditions that approximate their natural environment. (Different discussion) The problem is not temperature,ambient, but root zone temp. If root zone temp concerns you, put a towel or cloth around the pot.
Wood

Ah okay - right on - makes sense to me - thanks for this info. Appreciate it!

I picked this up - Concern Copper Soap Fungicide.

somegeek

Top Bottom