Air layer small D.R Redwood Possible?

Rfarrell5888

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I was given a smaller Dawn Redwood Bonsai. I don't have much experience with them. I am trying to figure out if it is possible to air layer closer to the top. It was given to me like this ->

Attachments

• 20210213_120656.jpg
    20210213_120656.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 36

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
Dawn Redwoods air layer fine, and quite fast like a few months. Either Spagnum or bonsai soil works.
Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
It is ultimately your decision but I don’t see your plan working. This is because where you want to air-layer there’s a big knot of branches which won’t look very nice if you want a single trunk etc. My idea would be a bit out of the box. Air layer just under the big knot of branches and do a clump/multi trunk design. The other thinking would be to do an air layer half way and remove the knot etc.
These trees are so vigorous that you can chop it down to a few inches from the roots and it will throw heaps of new buds/branches/new trunk.
Anyway, thinks to think about etc.
Charles

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Alternatively you could just prune off the top down to a suitable side-shoot to form a new leader and plant the shoot(s) youve removed as hardwood cuttings -which should root easily.

Top Bottom