Air layer started to drop leaves after 2 days

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You haven't indicated where you are in your profile, @xisbi.

Both Home Depot and Lowes carry it as 'orchid moss'. It comes in small 'bales' that they keep inside in the same general area as the houseplants they sell.

xisbi

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks, I live close to lowe's. I was there about a month a go, when I asked for sphagnum moss the guy gave me peat moss and said that is all the have. I am in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. I will go back tomorrow and look for orchid moss.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Peat moss is just dead sphagnum sometimes, usually mixed with different mosses that have the same properties.
As long as it's not pure peat, I think it's good enough for air layers.

xisbi

Sapling
Reaction score
They don't have sphagnum moss at lowes and home depot in canada. I ordered some from amazon now, I will experiment with it when it arrives. Thanks for the help.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I can't get my hands on sphagnum moss locally here, we only have peat moss. Old potting soil is a big no no ha.

The branch started to turn brown this morning so I cut it off. I will attempt on my bigger citrus tree again, will peat moss work?
The Internet is a magical place when combined with the postal service... 🤓🥳🤯

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I didn't harvest it at all it is only 2 days since I started the air layer. The branch is still attached to the tree
I am having very similar results on the Chinese Elm I am air-layering currently. I thought I did everything right but the leaves on the branches, some not all, are starting to turn yellow and die. Not sure if it is normal to lose a few of the leaves or if it should remain perfectly healthful. We are messing with it's health, so I would assume a little sickness is normal no?

xisbi

Sapling
Reaction score
My branch died completely... but your case seems to be deferent than mine. good luck

I got sphagnum moss from amazon. I will try and air layer with that and see if I get some roots.

Top Bottom