Air layer success

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Super stoked today to see roots, the first attempt maybe beginners luck but I will take it. However the second one still needs some more time, it only has a few roots on one side. So is there any other way better to do other than plastic around it or is that the best way. Thanks. This is from April till now. 2DA6AE4A-F80B-4698-91D6-87AC53F1C297.jpegCD913BF5-624D-40B6-B399-B1FF40768AE1.jpeg8BF0F135-9083-4EBF-98AD-ECB33F5AAFFE.jpeg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Congrats! Judging from your pics, I'd would give it more time. Let the root mass get a bit more dense. Patience and waiting longer when it comes to layers is much better than rushing them.

Giving it more shade is not a bad idea. I also usually prune back the top once is separated to decrease the demand on the newer and now smaller root system. I use transparent plastic with sphagnum moss. Others use aluminum foil, black plastic etc all with success. Many different ways in doing layers that yield similar results.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you wait a little longer, as @MACH5 suggests, ie til you can see very little moss it will be able to take more sun, therefore producing even more root mass before it shuts down for the year.

On separation, insert into a black plastic pot (don't use a pond basket or colander) and pour a good quality substrate around it. Pre puncture 4 holes in the pot & guy wire securely so it cannot move. Don't touch the roots for at least a year after separation. After this time I gently tease out the moss with a wooden skewer, replacing any voids with substrate. Training starts 2 years after separation when I'm confident it's strong. This is a safe approach that has worked consistently well for me.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the tips, I truly appreciate it. I will leave it a little longer and see what happens, I’m in no rush and neither is bonsai right.

Top Bottom