Air layer this wisteria?

Dan Brown

Seedling
Reaction score
Howdy all. I'm a rank beginner with a love for wisteria bonsai. At work we have a nuisance vine that is quite old. It has blossomed about twice that I can remember in the last 30 years.
I can't find a good base with roots to lift so I'm considering air layering. Here is a photo of it with a beer bottle for scale.
cimg0478-jpg.133317

What do you think of this idea? When would be a good time to start the layering process? I'm in zone 5b.
Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• CIMG0478.JPG
    CIMG0478.JPG
    572 KB · Views: 100

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy Dan Brown!

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I believe you should wait on more leaves for air-layering, but I'm also not a pro :D Welcome to the Forum!

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Dan, air layering works well for wisteria. There are several different thought processes concerning layering....................my method is only one way. Let the thing leaf out and grow until the first flush hardens off, then cut a wide ring all the way around the trunk. Make sure that you've removed all the cambium so that it doesn't bridge the gap. Scrape it pretty deep. Then bag it it and keep it moist and wait. it should produce roots in a couple of months. I may post mine later on, it's a white one from an air layer. It was hit very hard with herbicide a couple of years ago by extremely careless farmers but is still living, badly set back, but living. Hope this helps..............SK

Dan Brown

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I will wait till it produces leaves and I'll post updates.
Dan

Top Bottom