Air layer timing for a burning bush trunk?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I want to air layer a burning bush trunk about 3" in diameter. I am in zone 6 to 5. Mostly a 5 though. I am in July now so I think 2014 is not possible. I'd like to air layer in 2015. So.....questions....when?

For a burning bush....

When the buds begin to swell in spring 2015 but before leaf break?
When leaves open and begin development in 2015?
When leaves have hardened in late spring 2015?
A time I have not mentioned above?

Where I live in Michigan the burning bush buds begin swelling in late March to early April after a typical winter. The air layer will be on a healthy trunk.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They can be air layered but are slow developing roots so the earliest reasonable time would be when the buds begin to swell in Spring. You will need the extra weeks for the layer to be strong going into the Winter. If possible use a rooting compound or gel as well, again they are slow.

Grimmy

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Good info. I started two air layers early this spring and haven't seen much progress yet.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yup that's slow

Good info. I started two air layers early this spring and haven't seen much progress yet.

But....some progress?

Hmmmmm...that is slow. Odd thought. What if it is really, really slow and doesn't start strong until autumn? Do you leave the air layer components in place over winter?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
But....some progress?

Hmmmmm...that is slow. Odd thought. What if it is really, really slow and doesn't start strong until autumn? Do you leave the air layer components in place over winter?

Yes. If it doesnt have enough roots to support the new tree, it is best to leave it in place until it does (the following spring/summer). I would also make sure you give it some extra winter protection, like inside an unheated garage where it stays cold but does not freeze and keep a very close eye on it over the winter to make sure it doesnt dry out completely.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I haven't taken a peek yet. I'm doing the air layer (2actually) on a 10' landscape bush, so if it doesn't work by fall there's not much I can do as far as winter protection is concerned. In the same respect, it's a free shot on one of my bushes, so there's no real loss if it craps out.

szelelaci

Mame
Reaction score
@Tieball @Gaitano
Hey guys,
how did the layering end up? Were you succesful? How long did it take? I'm about to buy a burning bush from a garden center which would be a great starter for a clump style tree regarding the trunk structure, but I couldn't dig deep enough to find the main roots... I reckon root wise it's not too valuable.. I've read that the wire tourniqet method is prefered over the ring bark, but except this I haven't found too much info about the topic. Would you (or anyone else) share your experiences please?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did not air layer in the end. Everything I could read left me doubtful of success. My climate may not be suitable for the air layer to fully take hold before the months of arctic air take over. So, I passed on the thoughts and work involved. I moved on to other trees where I had a better chance at successful growing...I have enough to do with the other trees. The burning bush I was to air layer in in the ground growing, getting thicker in the trunk, maybe another year I will think about it again....maybe. Maybe not.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think I’ll actually be more inclined now to chop the bush drastically low, like about 5”-6” and let it regrow branches from there. Then, with some interesting carving, create a smallish tree. The branches will always be coarse...but I think I can close up wide space between branches/leaves fairly quick over a couple of seasons. I only get one growth flush each year. It will turn into just a fun project....clip and grow. Once pruned in spring before bud swell, while still coldly dormant, that’s about it for the season. The rest of the season is just tree health....and thinking how ill cut the next dormancy before spring. I have one like that already. It started as a dug-out dead stump that was cast out on a soil pile in the woods...only thing was the bush started to regrow After a couple years. Now it’s in a box.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
@Tieball @Gaitano
Hey guys,
how did the layering end up? Were you succesful? How long did it take? I'm about to buy a burning bush from a garden center which would be a great starter for a clump style tree regarding the trunk structure, but I couldn't dig deep enough to find the main roots... I reckon root wise it's not too valuable.. I've read that the wire tourniqet method is prefered over the ring bark, but except this I haven't found too much info about the topic. Would you (or anyone else) share your experiences please?

I went back to my notes, I started the air layer on 4/14 and separated 9/14. I attached a few photos through the years. Still kicking and LOVES to fill the pot with roots every year. I have another one that I collected also in 2014. Thats the one posted at the end. They are great trees to work with, but I usually only get on push per year so I don't cut back until fall or early spring (sometimes the varmints like to eat the buds, so I want to wait until spring to see what buds I have left to cut back to).

Attachments

• IMG_7906.JPG
    IMG_7906.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7908.JPG
    IMG_7908.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1850.JPG
    IMG_1850.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4644.jpg
    IMG_4644.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6933.jpg
    IMG_6933.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7034.JPG
    IMG_7034.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1662.JPG
    IMG_1662.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7034(1).jpg
    IMG_7034(1).jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7062.jpg
    IMG_7062.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6968.jpg
    IMG_6968.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 29

szelelaci

Mame
Reaction score
I went back to my notes, I started the air layer on 4/14 and separated 9/14. I attached a few photos through the years. Still kicking and LOVES to fill the pot with roots every year. I have another one that I collected also in 2014. Thats the one posted at the end. They are great trees to work with, but I usually only get on push per year so I don't cut back until fall or early spring (sometimes the varmints like to eat the buds, so I want to wait until spring to see what buds I have left to cut back to).
Cool trees! Nice amount of roots on the 3rd photo!
I gave up on the on the one I wrote about. I went back to the nursery to buy it, but it wasn't as great as I first tought...

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I found another section of my landscape burning bush euonymous where I want to create an air layer next spring. Looks like a good candidate for a broom style.

Attachments

• cVD4LTvnSYG2muP21kvdPQ.jpg
    cVD4LTvnSYG2muP21kvdPQ.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 18
  • yrnOL3D8SUyiGab+r0lbDQ.jpg
    yrnOL3D8SUyiGab+r0lbDQ.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom