Air Layer vs. Graft

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I understand that most of the Japanese maples are grafted onto more robust green JM stock as these cannot be grown from seed (no way to know what the seed will actually grow into). What I don't understand is why nurseries only seem to graft these maples instead of air layering any of them. The autumn moons, bloodgoods etc. all seem to be grafted. Does this mean that these less robust JMs have trouble growing from an air layer? Or is just not economically feasible for them for some reason? I ask because I have access to some really nice grafted maples that I could air layer come spring. In fact, some I could air layer right above the graft point and just keep the rest of the tree.

BonsaiMatt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You said it in your first sentence: regular jm are more robust. So grafts result in healthier, faster growing material for nurseries to grow and sell.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Plus grafting is fast and requires less of the cultivar material. I think a professional grafter can do the operation in a few seconds and then you don't have to worry about keeping an air layer moist, checking for roots, aftercare... Just have to take the grafting tape off before the tree gets too big.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Generally speaking, air-layers require a lot more material. As a nursery, it is more profitable to have 40 small grafts versus one or two larger air-layers - particularly if the market (landscaping) doesn't care. Plus you can continue to pull 40 scions off a tree every year somewhat indefinitely - versus an air-layer requires years for the source material to recover.

Top Bottom